Amazing Sounding Reference music

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tw1nstates

Amazing Sounding Reference music

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if y'all have any recommendations for excellent fidelity reference material to a/b against.
I amke electronic music so obviously music in that vein.

Am looking for loud, clear, punchy, warm, fat big sounding tracks in the techno / deep house / electronic vein.

I'l start off the thread by saying that I have been using Carl Craig's remix of Detroit by morgan Geist, La Cadence by Anthony Collins, Hazel by Ewan Pearson, and something by Claude Von Stroke to check against.
Plus just picked up Martin Butterich's new album.

Anyway was wondering what you use / what you think is well produced (btw the claude von stroke record is more for punch than production, it's definitely not quite up there with the other tracks for lushness. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

tw1nstates

Re: Amazing Sounding Reference music

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 pm

I am asking cos I have a bunch of stuff as Mp3's but need to go and buy some new wavs so any recommendations that anyone can give would be great.
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Massive Attack's new album is right up there for beautiful sounding audio and lush use of FX but without killing bandwidth, not killed in mastering either with hypercompression. While compressed to a degree, it still retains dynamics.

Maybe not a good reference if you're making banging dance floor tunes, but sounds great and not ear fatiguing on phones.

Junkie XL's Fairlight EP featuring Jan Hammer also sounds good, this is compressed a bit more but again, has punch and some dynamics and sounds good.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:02 pm

That's the key - loud and not fatiguing, starts with the mix i reckon but also good mastering.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Trentemoller, Rob Babicz always make great sounding records imho 8)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Speaking of Massive Attack, The re-mastered version on "Karmacoma" on Best Of... is a go-to reference for me. I cannot believe how big, loud, fat, warm, and at the same time subby, clear, and smooth that track is. I use it to reassure myself that yes Virginia, you can have a bass that big!! I mean, the original track on Protection is good, but the modern mastered version is just amped-up on steroids fuck-offingly good! :mrgreen:

(Not necessarily a dancefloor track, tho... sorry, I just had to spooge)
Last edited by Pitch Black on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:16 pm

catalyst wrote:Trentemoller, Rob Babicz always make great sounding records imho 8)
I felt that Last Resort was overcompressed in parts... on a few of the 808 sub hits the music is suppressed quite badly imho.

Also anything by International Observer sets the bar for me, for Dubby Electronica production.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 pm

My test kit

Gladiator Soundtrack (Huge. deep and wide)
Trentemoller - Last Resort (umchi umchi)
Daniel Lemma - Morning Train (old skool soul, brilliant well crafted dynamic sound)

And usually top the test of with Charles Websters
at any given time latest creation.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:10 am

i don't know about the productions on olmeto,

but at times of plank and end recordings bushwacka! was always one of my production heros, regarding electronic dancefloor stuff.

also pretty much anything from carl finlow of his later career, is just mixed absolutely beautifully.
*** Image GAFM ***

jonathan harker

Post by jonathan harker » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:00 am

i like bt and hybrid for this purpose and also imogen heap and all the stuff from simon posford ( shpongle and younger brother ) and stuff like the last record from miss kitten and the hacker. i´m more the rock guy so i prefer marilyn manson´s "mechanical animals" or everything from skunk anansie as reference.

Jens Burkert

Post by Jens Burkert » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Ultra - Depeche Mode

Really nice stereo width work, pleasing distortions, solid bass. I love that detailed, classy sound.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 pm

I tend to gravitate towards "Old Time Mountain Banjo" for that warm, lush je ne sais quoi, you know.

JoshR

Post by JoshR » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:09 pm

OK Computer

Z3NO

Post by Z3NO » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:19 am

tw1nstates wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if y'all have any recommendations for excellent fidelity reference material to a/b against.
I amke electronic music so obviously music in that vein.

Am looking for loud, clear, punchy, warm, fat big sounding tracks in the techno / deep house / electronic vein.

I'l start off the thread by saying that I have been using Carl Craig's remix of Detroit by morgan Geist, La Cadence by Anthony Collins, Hazel by Ewan Pearson, and something by Claude Von Stroke to check against.
Plus just picked up Martin Butterich's new album.

Anyway was wondering what you use / what you think is well produced (btw the claude von stroke record is more for punch than production, it's definitely not quite up there with the other tracks for lushness. . .
You've hit the nail on the head with Anthony Collins mate. I find most of his productions sublime. Definitely a good reference!

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:22 am

Flanger-Templates or Midnight Sound
Tipper-Seamless Unspeakable Something or Wobble factor