Is ableton falling behind?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yearlongyeti

Is ableton falling behind?

Post by yearlongyeti » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:18 am

I know we are ableton lovers here. But I was wondering if ableton's efforts to make ableton somewhat more reliable and other software platforms incorporating ableton's benefits into their own. Is ableton become alot less prefered and cutting edge (for want of a better description).

DangerousDave

Re: Is ableton falling behind?

Post by DangerousDave » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:27 am

I can't speak for everyone, but I have definitely noticed a lot of "bigger-ish" producers switching solely to Live, or trying to get there at least. I was pretty surprised at the recent issue of computer music magazine that almost every artist featured was using Live now. Now, it could be a biased mag but who knows. I think the strengths and weakness of Live are pretty clear, but I don't think a lot of people are complaining. (Just dont bring up crashes, etc.)
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

mihai

Post by mihai » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:44 am

i don't see people switching to sonar because of its matrix view any time soon.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 am

If Ableton are taking their time to re-write the code, make the programme more stable & efficient, and are the able to implement long standing user requests... well, that makes them AHEAD of the competition.

It's easy to add features to sell a new version of software. It's a bold move to say "we know there are problems and we want to address them."

Just out of interest yearlongyeti - is it importanr to you that the programme you are using is 'cutting edge'?

broc

Post by broc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:27 am

Regarding technology, Live with integration of Max is certainly 'cutting edge'.

But regarding stability Live seems more bottom of the league.

hossegor

Post by hossegor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:59 am

i can just speak for myself but i have had more crashs in logic than with live. i have switched over to live completely after using logic for 6 years.

CFM

Post by CFM » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:06 pm

To be honest I’ve not noticed any more crashes in Ableton than other music software and I have switched from Sonar.

However, I do think Ableton need to add a few features on the midi side that will make music making easier such as NRPN messaging.

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:51 pm

After using Acid Pro versions 2-7, I feel comfortable saying Ableton is far far from falling behind.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:55 pm

I think Ableton is by and large still ahead and I'm quite surprised there is still no serious competition for it. I think Maschine has shown the way forward but it is not a DAW. Ableton has recently come out with the imo the best hardware/software combinations and customizations (Max for Live) of any DAW and no one else comes close to the performance aspect. Who the heck would they even be falling behind. To me another performance DAW is unthinkable.

They need to sort out recording in session view, like Maschine does. Besides that, there's not a whole lot more you really need.
Professional Shark Jumper.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:08 pm

ther are areas wher ableton is ahea..but many standards of audioproduction are not implemeted yet..you have to see that ableton struggles on the midiside with 1980 standards... and timecode handling?

that cant called beeing ahead..beside any major daw is ready for surround since a decade now.

ableton is not falling behind..it was behind from day one.. and they are slow in covering the gap... but that is probably tactics to extend the upgrade cycle...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 pm

For me they are not falling behind. They have to be warned that competition is arriving and be vigilant. I guess that they might do something on the ipad pretty soon. :roll:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Not yet but i think they will need to overhaul their software in order to grow.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:39 pm

DangerousDave wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but I have definitely noticed a lot of "bigger-ish" producers switching solely to Live, or trying to get there at least...
I go to Winter Music Conference every year for the last seven or eight years. I have noticed that trend over these years too by word of mouth. By this year just about everyone was at least using Live as their main DAW or alongside another one. I don't think you can say that for any other DAW.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Anubis wrote:
DangerousDave wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but I have definitely noticed a lot of "bigger-ish" producers switching solely to Live, or trying to get there at least...
I go to Winter Music Conference every year for the last seven or eight years. I have noticed that trend over these years too by word of mouth. By this year just about everyone was at least using Live as their main DAW or alongside another one. I don't think you can say that for any other DAW.
I agree. This was also pointed out by some forum members.
I think it makes sense being a Logic user and a Live user at the same time or
a Pro Tools / Cubase + Live user. However I prefer using only Live. It fullfills
all of my needs.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:32 pm

To me it seems that they are only having a problem keeping up with a pace that they set for themselves. In my mind, they haven't had any real competition from the other developers. They really have made themselves a niche in what was already a small market. They had the smarts to get this far, they'll figure out the rest...