Best rotary knob MIDI controller (other than LV2 or BCR2000)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Romusc

Best rotary knob MIDI controller (other than LV2 or BCR2000)

Post by Romusc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Hello,

My setup so far is Audio 2 DJ + Launchpad + Akai LPK 25

I need some knobs for sure. A lot of them. I have searched a lot and the only two that have enough knobs for me (and no other feature like pads, keys, fader useless in my case) and all I've found were the faderfox LD2 and the Behringer BCR 2000. I don't like the knobs of the faderfox as they are not ''smooth''. The BCR2000 seems very good, I think the knobs feel good (tried them out in a shop) and I've seen many artists using this controller in Live performances so it seems reliable.

Before buying the BCR (which is also only 139 euros at Thomann) I wondered if I had overlooed other controllers that would have only knobs or if any new one was about to come out... I don't want to regret buying a controller that is already a little old if something ''better'' is about to come out.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

McQ714

Re: Best rotary knob MIDI controller (other than LV2 or BCR2000)

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:09 pm

you might wanna wait for Generation 3 of the Faderfox controllers, which is rumored to be coming out soon.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Cost is another consideration as well. Faderfox is much more expensive than behringer.

You will simply not find anything near as cheap as the BCR2000 with anywhere near as many pots, especially with LED rings.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Kenton Killamix Mini is like the top section of the BCR, very well designed too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Romusc

Post by Romusc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for your answers:

I'm not looking for the cheapest thing possible but above 300 euros it would really have to be great.

The Kenton Killamix is expensive, doesn't have many knobs, and above all... Is not a MIDI controller as I understand.

So it looks like there isn'T much else, uh? It's just that many reviews say that there are fabrication problems, like some knobs being smoother than others, or the click-knob not working properly...

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Doepfer Pocket dial- hard to find, excellent quality.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:37 pm

It's true that the build quality of the BCR isn't great. Knobs feel somewhat different in stiffness and it's not the most reliable. Works great when it's working, but don't expect it to be anywhere near as rugged as an Akai APC. I don't really need my BCR now that I've got the APC40. Those are the best rotaries I've come across. Akai should really make a compact knob only controller, APC style. The pocket dial looks pretty slick as well, no LEDs though.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Yeah, the APC's knobs are awesome. I'm so glad Akai has stepped up and started making some really solid and pro feeling controllers. Too much cheap, plastic crap out there that just doesn't feel like a serious instrument.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:33 pm

rikhyray wrote:Doepfer Pocket dial- hard to find, excellent quality.
Yep, good stuff. The encoders are not smooth though, they are similar to the Faderfox LD2, but smoother & quieter! I have both.

booster69

Post by booster69 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Romusc wrote: The Kenton Killamix is expensive, doesn't have many knobs, and above all... Is not a MIDI controller as I understand.
Yes to the expensive part, but it does in essence have 144 knobs and 144 buttons spread across 16 MIDI channels, you just have to select the channel by pressing the encoders. Also has a XY stick. It is USB, so no actual MIDI output, but if you are only using it to control your DAW then no problem.

Also, I've gotta say it, it's damn sexy in front of a Macbook Pro!

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:48 pm

booster69 wrote:Yes to the expensive part, but it does in essence have 144 knobs and 144 buttons spread across 16 MIDI channels, you just have to select the channel by pressing the encoders. Also has a XY stick. It is USB, so no actual MIDI output, but if you are only using it to control your DAW then no problem.

Also, I've gotta say it, it's damn sexy in front of a Macbook Pro!
+ it has LED rings for the 9 endless rotary's and 9 illuminated buttons (hold, toggle, ...).
And the best thing of all:

"When you select a new MIDI channel, the current values of the knobs for that channel are stored so that they can be restored when you next select this channel, thus avoiding any parameter jump difficulties typical of units with traditional knobs and faders. When the values are restored, the LED rings around the knobs indicate their new positions."

booster69

Post by booster69 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:56 pm

@Sarrova:-
I take it you are another happy Killamix user!
I wouldn't trade mine, I have it sitting right in front of my MBook Pro, permanently!

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:57 pm

you could go the novation SL route and utilize the automap feature for both controllers.

ark

Post by ark » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:04 pm

booster69 wrote:@Sarrova:-
I take it you are another happy Killamix user!
I wouldn't trade mine, I have it sitting right in front of my MBook Pro, permanently!
How do you map it? That is, do you have a preferred instant mapping file?

Also, the buttons affect the corresponding lights only in toggle mode, but Live doesn't like its buttons to be in toggle mode. Is there a good workaround?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 pm

make sure to know what kind of knobs you want? infinite rotateable ones or limited ones (like on dj mixers for the eqs). make sure you don't buy the wrong ones.. :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.