best way to create '' sub clip '' from main clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vudoo

best way to create '' sub clip '' from main clip

Post by vudoo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:02 am

I'm new to Live so sorry if this question has been asked before.

What's of the quickest way to create subclips without having to record it ???

For example, i grab a bass loop and put it in track 1 first clip slot. Now when i select that clip i see the waveform in clip view. The bass loop is 8 bar long so i would like to create different version of the loop. The only way i found was to record it into the arrangement and then create as many version as i need by cut/paste and then copy/paste it into the session view track slot.

Is it possible to achieve this by just selecting the portion of the loop you want in sesssion view and create a new subclip without having to record it ?? Thanks

!STiTCH!

Re: best way to create '' sub clip '' from main clip

Post by !STiTCH! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:11 am

I hope I'm understanding this correctly otherwise my answer will make me look stoopid.

I have, for mixing 2 songs together, taken and loaded the songs into individual clips on tracks (say 1 & 2) and then went through and found the bits I wanted and looped them, this should work with a simple bass line. You can also just set different start points if you want to do some juggling/glitchy style thing.

So for a remix Ill have song A on track 1 with say 8 different peices selected in "clips" and song B on track 2 with the different pieces set to different clips.

Hope this helps.

!STiTCH!
626Productions
www.myspace.com/626Productions

vudoo

Post by vudoo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:35 am

How do you turn the different pieces into clips ??? That's what i'm trying to figure out.

Here's what i'm trying to achieve :

My bass loop is 8 bar long, on track 1, first clip slot.

so original bass loop clip will play/loop from bar '' 1 til end of bar 8 ''
i want to create several versions so let say, version B will play/loop from '' bar 5 til end of bar 8 '', this can easily be done by putting a loop marker from 5 to end of 8 ......now HOW do i turn that ( versionB ) into a clip ??? Thanks

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:46 am

Drop your 8 bar bass loop into clip 1 slot, ctl+d (cmd+d if mac) to duplicate (do it for as many variations as you want). Now in Clip 2 slot go to clip view in lower right, there should be a bracket that encompasses the playing section ( will have arrows on the ends like this < > )or you can in the clip properties section set start/end points and length, you'll want to do this for each clip. Unfortunately Im at work otherwise I'd attach some photos, if still unresolved when I get home this evening I will do just that for ya.

vudoo

Post by vudoo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:51 am

Got it...thanks a lot, i feel like a dork! it's so simple :)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:51 am

On your duplicate clip, if you highlight the new portion of the file you want by dragging across it, you can then hit cntrl-L/apple-L to loop that section - it automatically moves the start marker and the loop brace.

Highlighting a selection in Arrange view and hitting cntrl-L can also be used for putting a playback loop in force over the selected portion of the timeline.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 am

Thank YOU! That will save me a lot of time as I am doing this a lot.