when will i be able to use 3rd party VST under rewire ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vudoo

when will i be able to use 3rd party VST under rewire ??

Post by vudoo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 pm

i would love to use Live with PT but under rewire Live won't let you work with 3rd party plug-ins. Will this feature ever gonna happen ???

drewbixcube

Re: when will i be able to use 3rd party VST under rewire ??

Post by drewbixcube » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:43 pm

This has to do with the limitations of Rewire, which is developed by Propellerheads (creators of Reason). It is unlikely Ableton will be able to do something in this regard.

There are other work-arounds however:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=15

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 pm

I think you misunderstood the op. I guess he wants to use live with vsts with PT not vsts inside PT.

I know that it's a limitation from rewire. But there are enough examples that it's technically possible to have vsts in a rewire slave. I would think about if bearing the specification from a standard just to fulfill the standard is the right way in every situation. I think the gain would outweigh the loss of the standard for many people out there.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:40 pm

I think what the OP is trying to do is use Live as a host for VST's to use within Pro Tools, similar to how Reason works naturally. AFAIK, this is not something that you can do using ReWire and the alternative is to use the VST-RTAS wrapper so that you can just use the wrapped VST's directly in Pro Tools.
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:32 pm

it's not a limitation, necessarily, of rewire.. it's more of a limitation of Live. but as I understand it, Ableton has followed the rewire protocol as it's specified and have not "hacked" it like other programmers may have to get around the limitation in apps like Reaper.

however, i see no reason to run two DAW hosts at the same time. you can always just bounce down individual tracks if you want to do your mixdown in another DAW.

vudoo

Post by vudoo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 pm

I don't think this is a limitation of Rewire since i do this all the time with Plogue and i believe Reaper can easily do this as well...but this is besides the point as i want to use Live....i'll explain my work flow, maybe this will answer some questions as why one wants to use 2 host...etc

I often write/record music away from home, where my main studio is. I have a nice portable rig based around PT but lately i've started using Live and really see its enormous potential for writing. So i want to be able to write using Live and get back to my studio sync the portable rig to my main rig ( ProTools HD3 ) and keep working. Please don't tell me to bounce/export the Live files into ProTools..that would be a MAJOR workflow killer for me and a complete waiste of time !!!

For example, i'm in the middle of writing a piece for TV using Live while on road. It has a few audio tracks, tons of Midi tracks and lots of VI instantiated. Now, when i get back to my home studio i want to be able to continue working ( along with PT ) and not have to commit anything that i've done already til the very end !!! Imagine if i need to bounce all my midi and VIs into audio and the producer decides to make changes, wich is inevitable, it would be a nightmare.

audiofarm

Post by audiofarm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:52 am

+1

Can we get a response from ableton on the tecnically aspect of it?

Svein