Sasha - Pioneer CDJ 2000's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wildcon

Sasha - Pioneer CDJ 2000's

Post by wildcon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Interesting article in this months Future Music mag about Sasha now using mainly
CDJ 2000's for playing out with Ableton used primarily for loops and effects.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

phil909

Re: Sasha - Pioneer CDJ 2000's

Post by phil909 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:56 am

i saw that too, those new cdj's are brilliant - pioneer have really nailed the mix between tactile control, intuitive use and creativity.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:16 am

yes, I saw that coming. After all the hype of "whow, so many things you can do with Live live" most DJs find out that they actually don't want to do too much live. And then return to traktor or CD-players.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:52 am

pepezabala wrote:yes, I saw that coming. After all the hype of "whow, so many things you can do with Live live" most DJs find out that they actually don't want to do too much live. And then return to traktor or CD-players.
exactly, because DJ-ing is not about permanent nerdy tech fuckery, but about playing good music and maybe adding a spice here and there with a little effect or a loop possibility. and about ultra fast access to tunes and the ability to be spontaneous and to completely throw a planned and prepared set overboard anytime.

with live you can't simply do that.
*** Image GAFM ***

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:03 am

SubFunk wrote:
exactly, because DJ-ing is not about permanent nerdy tech fuckery, but about playing good music and maybe adding a spice here and there with a little effect or a loop possibility. and about ultra fast access to tunes and the ability to be spontaneous and to completely throw a planned and prepared set overboard anytime.

my thoughts exactly,it's like the difference of having phone sex or REAL sex.

as dj synchro would say : it just works!

STOP IT!!!!!!!!

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Why would ANYONE spend $1900 on ONE CD player when you could buy a laptop and Traktor for less? I just don't get it.

Or even two 1200s, a mixer, and serato/traktor scratch or close to the same price.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Verbal wrote:Why would ANYONE spend $1900 on ONE CD player when you could buy a laptop and Traktor for less?
I was going to ask/comment on price and there it is and my question exactly.

Also while a lot of companies are working on making things smaller and streamlined, without looking I can only assume this is another tank that has the same footprint as a vinyl deck. No thanks. I'm not that insecure.

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm

beats me wrote:
Verbal wrote:Why would ANYONE spend $1900 on ONE CD player when you could buy a laptop and Traktor for less?
I was going to ask/comment on price and there it is and my question exactly.

Also while a lot of companies are working on making things smaller and streamlined, without looking I can only assume this is another tank that has the same footprint as a vinyl deck. No thanks. I'm not that insecure.
Exactly. Nowhere near cost effective. And I don't see how you can be more creative on this than say Traktor.

lol @ "I'm not that insecure."

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 pm

you think he pays for that siht? he's sponsored, free gear, just don't cover up the labels while on stage. dumb rich kids see him using it so they go out and buy it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you think he pays for that siht? he's sponsored, free gear, just don't cover up the labels while on stage. dumb rich kids see him using it so they go out and buy it.
this, and on top of it it's a product for clubs not for kids at home.

for home traktor using the software mixer with a midi controller, and then in clubs using only traktors decks with a proper mixer is the way to go, anyhow. anything just not ableton for DJ-ing, for gawds sake. (for the mentioned reasons)
*** Image GAFM ***

phil909

Post by phil909 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 pm

SubFunk wrote:exactly, because DJ-ing is not about permanent nerdy tech fuckery, but about playing good music and maybe adding a spice here and there with a little effect or a loop possibility. and about ultra fast access to tunes and the ability to be spontaneous and to completely throw a planned and prepared set overboard anytime.
spot on.

Kirk Degiorgio

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:08 pm

SubFunk wrote:
pepezabala wrote:yes, I saw that coming. After all the hype of "whow, so many things you can do with Live live" most DJs find out that they actually don't want to do too much live. And then return to traktor or CD-players.

of course you can. just have a large library of warped tracks in your HD and you have ultra-fast access to tunes (faster than looking thru a record box or CD wallet), the ability to be spontaneous (you are not so restricted with beat-matching within close bpm range) and throw anything planned or prepared overboard (you can store a greater library of tracks, therefore more choice to react to crowd).
http://www.planetary-folklore.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/kirkdegiorgio

Mac Pro 8 Core, 2GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, Logic 9.02, Live 8.1.3, Prism Sound Orpheus.
MacBook Pro 2.26ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, OS 10.6.3, Live 8.1.3, Akai APC40, NI Audio 4DJ.

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 pm

U rock Kirk :D

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 pm

SubFunk wrote:

+1 but this is to expensive , I buy them on ebay in a couple of years time, now im searching for used cdj 1000s, but they dont have track labeling.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:21 am

Kirk Degiorgio wrote:
SubFunk wrote:

of course you can. just have a large library of warped tracks in your HD and you have ultra-fast access to tunes (faster than looking thru a record box or CD wallet), the ability to be spontaneous (you are not so restricted with beat-matching within close bpm range) and throw anything planned or prepared overboard (you can store a greater library of tracks, therefore more choice to react to crowd).
i beg to differ, that live is in any way faster or more flexible for the purpose of dj-ing.

i have both and used both.
*** Image GAFM ***