Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ewistrand
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:33 am
Location: Eagan, Minnesota

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by ewistrand » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:15 pm

tw1nstates wrote:@ Ewistrand.

well, yeha, you should. But then there are those things called NDA's.
True- there are. However, as anybody who knows me will tell you, if I knew about such a product, I wouldn't be posting in this thread to begin with.

ew

flowdesigner
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:58 am

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:51 pm

tw1nstates wrote:next?

I mean, they have all the building blocks in place for an Awesome one.

Kore - stable au / vst host.
Maschine - sequencing and automation
Controller stuff in place.
Traktor userbase and maschine userbase that would jump on an integrated, stable performance software.

It kinda makes sense to me.

I'd buy it if it did the things we all have been asking for in Ableton. . .

I was thinking about this last night and I reckon it's a good possibility.
If they do, I buy it and buy Reaktor !

tlennon
Posts: 1627
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:58 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by tlennon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 am

I really don't see it happening. The DAW market is pretty competitive already and I doubt that NI would be interested in developing the closed system paradigm as Propellerhead.
Terrence Lennon
Image

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:35 am

UncleAge wrote:I'm not tryin' to pee in anyone's Wheaties here but...

Since when did NI become the industry leader in stability, great gui's and cpu efficiency? These are three things that are pretty much a must have for any (read: most) hosts. And unless it's a closed system like Reason I can only imagine the nightmare of getting NI customer support in line with all the "hey my plug doesn't work" requests. And they would also have to come up with some other licensing scheme. I can't see tying up my whole gig with NI's service center. Couple all of that with just one more question... Just how much would they need to improve on what's already out there to make worth anyone's (fanboi's excluded of course) worthwhile to switch?

I'm not saying they shouldn't try. I just won't be holding my breath. Now if Fabfilter, U-he, Spectrasonics or Camel Audio were to hint at such a thing, my ears would perk up a bit. But not a lot. I (like most of you) am very spoiled with what's on my plate already. Starting down another alphabetabugriddenupdateupgradeuntiltheygetitright path with another dev doesn't appeal to me at all. Nada, zip, zilch, fuggettaboutit...
times change, and sometimes very fast, NI has moved without many people noticing yet.
keep on sleeping. they changed their artist company relation and that is what shoots them ahead right now.
*** Image GAFM ***

UncleAge
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by UncleAge » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:22 am

SubFunk wrote:
UncleAge wrote:I'm not tryin' to pee in anyone's Wheaties here but...

Since when did NI become the industry leader in stability, great gui's and cpu efficiency? These are three things that are pretty much a must have for any (read: most) hosts. And unless it's a closed system like Reason I can only imagine the nightmare of getting NI customer support in line with all the "hey my plug doesn't work" requests. And they would also have to come up with some other licensing scheme. I can't see tying up my whole gig with NI's service center. Couple all of that with just one more question... Just how much would they need to improve on what's already out there to make worth anyone's (fanboi's excluded of course) worthwhile to switch?

I'm not saying they shouldn't try. I just won't be holding my breath. Now if Fabfilter, U-he, Spectrasonics or Camel Audio were to hint at such a thing, my ears would perk up a bit. But not a lot. I (like most of you) am very spoiled with what's on my plate already. Starting down another alphabetabugriddenupdateupgradeuntiltheygetitright path with another dev doesn't appeal to me at all. Nada, zip, zilch, fuggettaboutit...
times change, and sometimes very fast, NI has moved without many people noticing yet.
keep on sleeping. they changed their artist company relation and that is what shoots them ahead right now.
Oh, I have noticed. They've put out a lot of preset packs and have put some make-up on some of their older stuff. They look like they want to start doing what others do instead of leading the way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-NI, I own and use K5 and plan on getting K6 soon. But I really can't see them making a DAW any better than most of what's out there already. So IMO, NI making a DAW is a yawn at best. I understand you disagree and I'm ok with that too 8)

gerard
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: Luxemburg

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by gerard » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:32 am

UncleAge wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
UncleAge wrote:I'm not tryin' to pee in anyone's Wheaties here but...

Since when did NI become the industry leader in stability, great gui's and cpu efficiency? These are three things that are pretty much a must have for any (read: most) hosts. And unless it's a closed system like Reason I can only imagine the nightmare of getting NI customer support in line with all the "hey my plug doesn't work" requests. And they would also have to come up with some other licensing scheme. I can't see tying up my whole gig with NI's service center. Couple all of that with just one more question... Just how much would they need to improve on what's already out there to make worth anyone's (fanboi's excluded of course) worthwhile to switch?

I'm not saying they shouldn't try. I just won't be holding my breath. Now if Fabfilter, U-he, Spectrasonics or Camel Audio were to hint at such a thing, my ears would perk up a bit. But not a lot. I (like most of you) am very spoiled with what's on my plate already. Starting down another alphabetabugriddenupdateupgradeuntiltheygetitright path with another dev doesn't appeal to me at all. Nada, zip, zilch, fuggettaboutit...
times change, and sometimes very fast, NI has moved without many people noticing yet.
keep on sleeping. they changed their artist company relation and that is what shoots them ahead right now.
Oh, I have noticed. They've put out a lot of preset packs and have put some make-up on some of their older stuff. They look like they want to start doing what others do instead of leading the way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-NI, I own and use K5 and plan on getting K6 soon. But I really can't see them making a DAW any better than most of what's out there already. So IMO, NI making a DAW is a yawn at best. I understand you disagree and I'm ok with that too 8)
Boring...
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

tw1nstates
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:07 pm

I can remember life before Ableoton and everyone was saying that Cubase xyz and Logic 5 or 6 or whatever were all you need and a new daw was just *yawn*

Now almost everyone I know uses Ableotn, not just for live, but as a DAW. Actually more pp I know use it as a DAW than as a live tool. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

mbenigni
Posts: 762
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by mbenigni » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:26 pm

I love the sound of NI products, but they also frustrate the hell out of me, as does their customer support record. I'm with UncleAge on this one. I can't even begin to fathom how the original poster put NI and "bug free and stable" together. They're brilliant developers, but spit and polish is not their trademark. Not by a longshot.

Personally, I'd prefer the opposite approach: I'd be more excited to see Ableton develop (or license and integrate) more exciting synths and effects. Most of the existing Abe plugs leave me cold, but I use them for rough work anyway because the UI/ integration makes sense and they're stable as hell. Also, the customer support out of Ableton is generally excellent, or at the very least personable.

If Max for Live grows some legs, I think Ableton could mature into what some of you are dreaming of in a Native Instruments DAW. If I had the time and money (I have neither) I'd be working on an amp sim construction set in Max right now.

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 pm

the (live plugins) UI/ integration makes sense and they're stable as hell.
+1

I'm pretty sure no other company could afford this "internal coding" (I've got no clue about what I mean),

what I said about NI "Komplete DAW", is that, even if possible, it would use the NI plugins as 'external" plugins, even from same manufacturer... and it would imply really much more CPU hog than with ableton..

my 2 useless and clueless cents :mrgreen:

anyway, I'm still 100% interested in what NI will become in some years.

Traktor and Maschine seem to open a new NI generation...

what's next??

cool stuff I'm pretty sure!

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:00 pm

tlennon wrote:I really don't see it happening. The DAW market is pretty competitive already and I doubt that NI would be interested in developing the closed system paradigm as Propellerhead.
Why would it be a closed system? Kore isn't closed, you can load any VST or audio unit in it. I don't see why an NI DAW would be any different.

I think they have other more lucrative avenues to follow though - mainly a synth/workstation instrument that follows the design philosophy of Maschine. Software completely in the box, but hardware to have complete control over it. They did it right with Maschine and nobody else had yet. I'm sure there will be more to come.
Professional Shark Jumper.

squelcht
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by squelcht » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:47 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
tlennon wrote:I really don't see it happening. The DAW market is pretty competitive already and I doubt that NI would be interested in developing the closed system paradigm as Propellerhead.
Why would it be a closed system? Kore isn't closed, you can load any VST or audio unit in it. I don't see why an NI DAW would be any different.

I think they have other more lucrative avenues to follow though - mainly a synth/workstation instrument that follows the design philosophy of Maschine. Software completely in the box, but hardware to have complete control over it. They did it right with Maschine and nobody else had yet. I'm sure there will be more to come.
Agreed - Dude if NI came out with a hardware/software keyboard synthesizer in the likes of Maschine - It would be FKN SICK. No doubt. I'm sure they got some shit up their sleeves...

33tetragammon
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: The Universe
Contact:

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Software completely in the box, but hardware to have complete control over it. They did it right with Maschine and nobody else had yet. I'm sure there will be more to come.
right on!
Maschine is the blueprint of future computer music making and performing imo.
i sure hope they transfer all of that to Kore 3 as well.don't get me wrong here,i absolutely love Kore 2(and couldn't live without it),
but it could really benefit from all that extra hardware control(better browsing,two big bright lcd screens etc) and ergonomics that Maschine DOES have.

the good thing is that N.I. seems to focus on what was really missing in computermusic production : real tight hardware/software integration that makes it a much more physical experience instead of the "hey-look-i'm-performing-live-but-it-looks-like-i'm-checking-my-email-crap(uuuggghhh!!!!)

yes,very off-topic,needed to say it though.

tlennon
Posts: 1627
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:58 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by tlennon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:21 pm

I agree also that if NI could find a competitive nitch, it would be worthwhile for them to implement a hardware/software matchup with Maschine/Tracktor/NI Plugs yet keep it open for ext VSTs.
Terrence Lennon
Image

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 pm

I see NI putting out a Receptor like hardware VST host that works with Kore, Maschine and Rig Kontrol.
Maybe some step sequencing / sequence firing capabilities so you could use it live without a computer, and definitely the ability to host all of this inside a traditional DAW on a PC or laptop via some ethernet or USB3 protocol.

Main reason I think they might do this is poor implementation of NI controller hardware with Receptor, plus NI are pretty stable stand alone with Kore VST host wise, so....
If Muse research and NI had come up with some sort of awesome combo of Maschine, Kore, or eve Rig Kontrol, I wouldn't think this, but they didn't and nothing points to them doing so anytime soon.

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:28 pm

If Muse research and NI had come up with some sort of awesome combo of Maschine, Kore, or eve Rig Kontrol, I wouldn't think this, but they didn't and nothing points to them doing so anytime soon.
Image

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor2_k ... inside.php


Seems you could be wrong :o

at least they begin something like a kinda partnership!!

Post Reply