Help wanted for producing hard house/hard trance etc

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maudeu

Help wanted for producing hard house/hard trance etc

Post by maudeu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi all

I've been using Ableton off and on for a while now but still consider myself very much a beginner (just don't seem to have the time to put the hours in!).

I'm into hard house and hard tranche mostly, and I think I could really use some kind of tutorial or walkthrough to get the basics. What I really
need to know at the moment is how to make my drum loops and basslines sound professional. The ones I produce seem to lack a bit of drive, and I'm having trouble making hats and snares sound professional (even when I use samples - probably the way I fit them into the loops is the problem).

There's a bit of stuff out there on Youtube and the like, which does help a bit, but I can't find a lot that's specific to Ableton.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some decent learning material, or offer a few tips or basic walkthroughs themselves that would be great. It would be even better if someone could send me an ableton file already loaded with a track or the basic elements of one, so I can have a close look at how its done. I understand if this is asking a bit too much - you'd have to take my word for it that I'm not going to plagiarize your work!

Anyway, all helpful comments will be most appreciated!

Cheers

supamonsta

Re: Help wanted for producing hard house/hard trance etc

Post by supamonsta » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm

-Read the ableton live manual back and forth and back and again

-Browse this forum, tips and tricks, tutorials by many helpful members (if you find the search engine difficult, just use google, type the keywords + forum.ableton )

-keywords are "kick layer", "bass line", "compression", "mixdown", "headroom", "beat patterns"...

-Use something to A/B regularly between your favorite genre tracks, and the sound you're working on

-Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...

Good luck, and welcome to this world!

cheers

Migra

Post by Migra » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:04 pm

supamonsta wrote:-Read the ableton live manual back and forth and back and again

-Browse this forum, tips and tricks, tutorials by many helpful members (if you find the search engine difficult, just use google, type the keywords + forum.ableton )

-keywords are "kick layer", "bass line", "compression", "mixdown", "headroom", "beat patterns"...

-Use something to A/B regularly between your favorite genre tracks, and the sound you're working on

-Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...

Good luck, and welcome to this world!

cheers
+10000000000000000000 XD
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

nafe

Post by nafe » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:09 am

sonic academy "Tech Tips" i saw on youtube and i think on there site are quite good. there are about 11 or 12 (maybe more) that walk through a few things quite well.

maudeu

Post by maudeu » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:59 pm

cheers for your help guys, always appreciated

philter

Post by philter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:04 am

We have made a load of tech tips free on the site now... volume 1+2 and half of vol 3 - 27 in total

just register and booom!!

Go To Training videos in the top navigation