What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by 3phase » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:54 pm

hoffman2k wrote:[
Nope, I didn't say that all. I said you can prove the differences between Live versions.
I also said earlier that you'll need a mathematician to explain the results.
The differences are there and will continue to be there forever. Live 3 didn't magically get better or worse when Live 8 got released.

you are talking bullshit.. so all live versions are just different sounding to each other but ther is no better or worse they are just different?


tss.. one for sure..the other daw manufactors managed to improove theire soundquality big time in the 15 years they are on the market...

to having it just different all the time really wouldnt indicate that a companie has much control over theire doings...


but you are wrong.. live became better sounding..as it should as a DAW in development

trust my ears..

but i´ve to admit.. i liked the alaising grain sound of the first versions.. ..than they tried to polish it up what was in the first step rather a muffeling.. and than it got more transparent and open.. as it should be...

i actually like booth.. harsh characterfull sounds.. and highend transparent smoothness..
the inbetweens are rather disgusting
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Z3NO
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:12 am
Location: 404 Not Found

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by Z3NO » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm sorry, in Mac OSX, isn't Core audio, Live's 'audio engine'? Don't all audio apps on the same machine use the same Core Audio?

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by kb420 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Image
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

hoffman2k
Posts: 14705
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 pm

3phase wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:[
Nope, I didn't say that all. I said you can prove the differences between Live versions.
I also said earlier that you'll need a mathematician to explain the results.
The differences are there and will continue to be there forever. Live 3 didn't magically get better or worse when Live 8 got released.

you are talking bullshit.. so all live versions are just different sounding to each other but ther is no better or worse they are just different?


tss.. one for sure..the other daw manufactors managed to improove theire soundquality big time in the 15 years they are on the market...

to having it just different all the time really wouldnt indicate that a companie has much control over theire doings...


but you are wrong.. live became better sounding..as it should as a DAW in development

trust my ears..

but i´ve to admit.. i liked the alaising grain sound of the first versions.. ..than they tried to polish it up what was in the first step rather a muffeling.. and than it got more transparent and open.. as it should be...

i actually like booth.. harsh characterfull sounds.. and highend transparent smoothness..
the inbetweens are rather disgusting
You'll really twist anything into anything. Even if somebody agrees to some extent you'll still prove him wrong :lol:
The grammar and the spelling are nothing. But put it together with what you keep saying and we might as well chat with a random word generator.

broc
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:37 am

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by broc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:05 pm

hoffman2k wrote:.. we might as well chat with a random word generator.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Isturite-
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by Isturite- » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:20 pm

when there is nothing wrong with abletons sound "engine" why is it constantly in discussion than?
And why have so many people the experiance..or had the experiance..that it sounds better to rewire live than mix internal?

The sound engine is crap... nuff said!!!

Reason must have some kind of vintage warmer type thing in the mixer or something becuase the sound it outputs is so nice compared to ableton.... With Reason or ANYTHING other than Ableton, making a track sound good is fairly easy and doesn't require too much processing (saturation/eq/compression/etc...)... especially in Reason, everything sounds so analog and lush... in Ableton I am constantly fighting to get sound quality that I get in Reason without even mixing my tracks... I can have all my levels totally off the charts, and spend hours in Ableton... but the Reason song still sounds cleaner and more professional
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

LeifonMars
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:48 am

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Isturite- wrote:
Reason must have some kind of vintage warmer type thing in the mixer or something becuase the sound it outputs is so nice compared to ableton.... With Reason or ANYTHING other than Ableton, making a track sound good is fairly easy and doesn't require too much processing (saturation/eq/compression/etc...)... especially in Reason, everything sounds so analog and lush... in Ableton I am constantly fighting to get sound quality that I get in Reason without even mixing my tracks... I can have all my levels totally off the charts, and spend hours in Ableton... but the Reason song still sounds cleaner and more professional
Oh well, Reason must have better presets then.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Isturite-
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by Isturite- » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:05 pm

I use ABSOLUTELY zero presets (with the exception of an occasional real instrument preset on Kontakt)... I even make my own drum samples with synths and everything... for the most part all my music is 100% my own original sound design... [haven't actually recorded any drum samples in reason since it's mostly midi oriented whereas Ableton can use audio files without a sampler, and bouncing audio from one track to another and cropping is really easy...]

So bad presets definately isn't my issue... All of my friends who don't use Ableton tell me that my music sounds really stale and that I need to stop producing in this DAW... im beginning to want Logic to produce in... then maybe just use Ableton for little bits of editing and live mixing

then i come back to the issue, should I just go the route of getting my tracks mastered and just using vinyl or cdj's?? Is the versatility of Ableton worth the sound quality issues that come with it??? I want to use my launchpad that's for sure....
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

Poster
Posts: 8804
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by Poster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Isturite- wrote:
The sound engine is crap... nuff said!!!

Reason must have some kind of vintage warmer type thing in the mixer or something becuase the sound it outputs is so nice compared to ableton....
so you like a mixer that by default colors your material? :?

just learn to use the tools in Live..

Isturite-
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by Isturite- » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 pm

so you like a mixer that by default colors your material? :?

just learn to use the tools in Live..
absolutely not... and that's part of the reason I don't use Reason... I like having ultimate control over everything, which is why I use near to none of other people's samples... but it becomes really stressful after a while, and I would like to know if it's even possible for me to 'produce' something that is of decent sound quality in this program... my issue is that i've yet to meet anybody that pulls off as good of sound quality in Ableton as people do in Logic or Cubase... not saying they aren't out there, just what I've seen
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

Poster
Posts: 8804
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by Poster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:56 pm

don't believe the hype..

sporkles
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by sporkles » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 pm

I can't believe a thread with such an obvious title hasn't prompted a single "it just works" from Mr. Tamagotchi Killer yet! 8O

Isturite-
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by Isturite- » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Poster wrote:don't believe the hype..
trying not to... I love ableton, and would be very disappointed if I had to use something else for i've gotten so spoiled by it that if I use anything else I hit walls all the time saying "ahhh, ableton is so much easier to use!"

it's just been a slow and tedious process making my mixes sound decent, but i'm still determined to get the sound I'm looking for... I guess creating every sound from scratch with NI synths could be part of my difficulties
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 pm

it just works (tm)














djsynchro is out ill today, i'll be filling in.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: What Ableton IS KEEPING SECRET about Live's audio engine...

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:43 pm

hoffman2k wrote:You'd think with all the geniuses arguing against it, we'd have some more conclusive data and tests now than making 2 waveforms who should be technically identical, null with each other.
Isn't there like some consumer comparison test that could clear everything up? Probably not. And even if you find one, people would argue the bias of whomever made the tests.
So what do we end up with: A conversation about what is essentially advanced mathematics, argued by people ranging from bedroom musicians to audio engineers. Its a FOX news panel, thats what it really is. After the break we'll be joined by Trent Reznor and Karl Rove who will discuss the implications that the oil spill in the Gulf has for touring musicians.
:lol:

you'd think with all these geniuses around there'd be so many more DAWs to choose from.... each of them better than Live.

I'd like to suggest some names:

Whine
Wank Bank
Super Awesome Audio Engine
16th Change Up Lite
Fit Pitch
Ramble
IJW (It Just Works)
Villalobos Analog D
OT
CPerrezzz Pro Tool
No Reason
Loopy Fruit
Airclub For DJ
Yoink
GOAT
Nice Lemur
Screw Bass
Jitter - by 3Phase...
Pros Only Tools
Washin Maschine
Palm Face
Tapir
Feebleton Life (the Jitter Suite)



Leon Tricker wrote:I can upgrade my laptop, my audio interface, and my monitor speakers.

If only I could upgrade my ears so I can hear what 3phase means about the audio engine! :lol:
:mrgreen: does that come in a software plugin or do you have to get new hardware?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Post Reply