The end of music production as we know it ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rompling

The end of music production as we know it ?

Post by rompling » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/ju ... ual-studio
Saw this a great idea or a bit of hype with no substance or have the big DAW makers got something to worry about :?:
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

H20nly

Re: The end of music production as we know it ?

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:55 pm

"Whether you are a 15-year-old kid or an established producer, this puts you on a level playing field,"
oof.

oh well, there's always video fellas...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Theres nothing mentioned there that doesnt already exist in some application.
Fear Mongering.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:29 pm

1: dance music - it's all the fucking same anyway.
who cares if you can download a loop of a phat 808 kick playing quarter notes rather than being an elite producer and put them on the 4 yourself. I care not.

2: it already exists. there's a million ways to make repetitive beats music already, without any real effort. I think there's an app called Garageband which has just been launched by a small company that might take off for this market sector. Or is that too underground?

3: yeah, really, great reporting Grauniad.
Cocacola launches promotional tool: http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2010/06/1 ... rld-alight
http://www.burnenergydrink.com/en_INT/burnstudios.html

I predict a massive roaring success.
no wait, I mean failure.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:40 pm

HA! yea cause we all know that COST is the only thing holding back budding superstars...not talent, or practice...er...
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:13 am

of course richie hawtin has his hand in it.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 am

"Kids often don't have the money for expensive software, so we are trying to remove that problem"
the kids i know all have the cmplete waves bundle and and and.. i old fart are is the one with the 2 plug ins...

however.. dealing with a daw with online share or just online share on a server? i would go for the server...
ther is potential in that..

actually sharing an ableton instance online ..just for practial purposes.
i on my i phone on the lake....with controler access.. ;-)

the only real trend with serious musicans is that people like to play together again..all software that dont supports that is out...

therfore ableton should better hurry to get theier syncing online.. its much more important that share things..

actually as i understood the share thing there was server action on bletons side involved.. maybe its realy not such a bad idea to go even further...

with all the preset content? magix music maker.. like a karaoke bar.. mix your heros online..with ableton live.. 2 euro for 10 minutes...you can win that your name gets mentioned on the daily frontpage!!!

richti hawtin playes a 2 bar loop from YOU !!! on his opening set in ibiza..

maybe even better..
ableton djs around the world can access and do access the pool of your preset variations .. you name on the led screen in an ibiza ibiza biza club.. the place where normal people with jobs do theier raving for the whole year..

10 minutes 3,50 euro.. fair deal for fame ... you can spend 476 hours with the online DAW for the same price one old school techno producer usually had to invest to produce propper tracks...

thats well enoug for a dozend maxis !!!
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:40 am

You know 3phase, you've got some solid ideas in there, old bean

:D

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:07 am

Angstrom wrote:1: dance music - it's all the fucking same anyway.
who cares if you can download a loop of a phat 808 kick playing quarter notes rather than being an elite producer and put them on the 4 yourself. I care not.

2: it already exists. there's a million ways to make repetitive beats music already, without any real effort. I think there's an app called Garageband which has just been launched by a small company that might take off for this market sector. Or is that too underground?

3: yeah, really, great reporting Grauniad.
Cocacola launches promotional tool: http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2010/06/1 ... rld-alight
http://www.burnenergydrink.com/en_INT/burnstudios.html

I predict a massive roaring success.
no wait, I mean failure.

what he said, and then what I said.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:12 am

starving student wrote:in the future everyone will just send their tracks to john gordon
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 am

naa, it's a big difference. just using pre processed material vs. do it from scratch. it's ok to use 'presets' and loops if you know your stuff or just want to lern, but only using some loops and some synth presets.... I don't like this 'all is convenient and easy way' - you lose the basics skills which imho are important (to a certain degree) to push things forward. There needs to be effort, mediocre is worthless.

and just to stay on topic, it's just another way to make some money. I don't buy this 'we make the world' better thing. I think it's great that you can record music in pro quality with less money today, but I also think it's good that you have to invest to get something. It's like life, you only get something if your doing something.
Last edited by mr.ergonomics on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:46 am

when you go to beatport, do you hear things you wouldn't have heard ten years ago?
To me everything there sounds like copies of big tunes from 1996, or at the most, a mix of two tunes from 1996.

Let the garage banders have it.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:54 am

mr.ergonomics wrote:

naa, it's a big difference. just using pre processed material vs. do it from scratch. it's ok to use 'presets' and loops if you know your stuff or just want to lern, but only using some loops and some synth presets.... I don't like this 'all is convenient and easy way' - you lose the basics skills which imho are important (to a certain degree) to push things forward. There needs to be effort, mediocre is worthless.
i am only aware of one way to convince dancemusic haters...

a nice party with good people.. a good sound system.. and a little purpel pill..

of cause we can enjoy dancing for 12 hours without drugs !!.. 8)

but they defently are a converting factor...

actually.. as long it has not been mainstream in the us charts its not over...

see what happened with us punk..from iggy pop to dead kennedys..to,, down the drain... to million selling greendays and nine inch nails...

its not even there yet... hope it wont be too ugly...
but in a world of american idols, telenovelas and prostata trance? .. how cool will it be?..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 am

3phase wrote: i am only aware of one way to convince dancemusic haters...
erm, yeah. You are on the wrong track there
this is me, in about 1995
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmW-aNUuM4

I'm not a dance music hater,I'm a person who is saying it hasn't innovated in any way since 1996.