ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leedsquietman
Posts: 6659
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:56 am
Location: greater toronto area

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:52 am

I'm not a lover of Protools by any means but let's be straight about a couple of things ,,,

1) The MIDI is vastly improved in version 8.

2) Protools HD uses a 24 bit 48 bit fixed integer audio engine, NOT 28 bit. Protools M-Powered and LE use a 32 bit float system like Logic, Cubase, Live. There are arguments for and against the 48 bit fixed vs 32 bit float.


The poll was rigged because Image Line themselves mentioned the poll with a 'wouldn't it be nice if FL Studio users voted' message, so the fanboys got together en masse to follow their leader (and a rallying call from someone on this forum saying 'vote Live'), I'm pretty sure Reaper users also got the call to vote. Sheluser tells me Reason users didn't as far as he could remember, but I was pretty sure (wouldn't bet the house) that some forum Reason users populate also called to vote.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Reads more like a survey on how many people own certain DAW's

jamief
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:50 pm
Location: Awakend

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by jamief » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 pm

For me its has been no1 for along time - its so musical and simple to use :)

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:26 pm

thats why I voted harmonica, but it didn't show up in the results.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:21 pm

live is not the best daw in the world by any means.
i would say that much like reason is, live is a fantastic compositional tool.
i know lots of users who are rewiring live to anoyther daw because the lack of curves and what-have-you and alot of users who simply lives with it because of the workflow improvement you get from working within a single software with a clean straightforward no-nonsense interface, me included.

but the best daw in the world?
hardly.
one of the most innovative perhaps, but hardly the best daw.
however i have yet to see any daw come close tot he fast and convenient workflow that live offers. if they did include some oft he daw features weve been screaming for for years then parhaps it might end up in the top on the daw lists though.
live is the number one for me personally but only because its so fast and convenient to work with (even though it doesnt have custom keyboard shortcuts, or custom macros/extensions like reaper has for example), but thats simply because ive learned to live with its shortcomings. its a matter of priority, i guess. id rather have a fast workflow (not to mention relative clip envelopes :D) then a clumsy workflow with tons of floating windows and a bloated interface just so i can make a perfectly sineshaped automation curve.

evon
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: Jamrock

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by evon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Live is too transparent..Cubase is my No.1 DAW.
Live is in a class by itself..Live is the PAW, not a DAW, so there is nothing to compare it with.
fe real!

AceLuby
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Mpls, MN
Contact:

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by AceLuby » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:56 pm

friend_kami wrote:live is not the best daw in the world by any means.
i would say that much like reason is, live is a fantastic compositional tool.
i know lots of users who are rewiring live to anoyther daw because the lack of curves and what-have-you and alot of users who simply lives with it because of the workflow improvement you get from working within a single software with a clean straightforward no-nonsense interface, me included.

but the best daw in the world?
hardly.
one of the most innovative perhaps, but hardly the best daw.
however i have yet to see any daw come close tot he fast and convenient workflow that live offers. if they did include some oft he daw features weve been screaming for for years then parhaps it might end up in the top on the daw lists though.
live is the number one for me personally but only because its so fast and convenient to work with (even though it doesnt have custom keyboard shortcuts, or custom macros/extensions like reaper has for example), but thats simply because ive learned to live with its shortcomings. its a matter of priority, i guess. id rather have a fast workflow (not to mention relative clip envelopes :D) then a clumsy workflow with tons of floating windows and a bloated interface just so i can make a perfectly sineshaped automation curve.
Wow, could you contradict yourself a little more?

Just because something is voted the 'best' doesn't mean it's perfect, just better than the alternatives... which is exactly what you're saying. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing w/ your opinion, just an observation of your argument.

"Live isn't the best DAW out there... it's just the best DAW out there for me... and most of the people involved in this poll... but it's still not the best. Hardly..." :lol:
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

leedsquietman
Posts: 6659
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:56 am
Location: greater toronto area

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Until recently, Live was not really considered as a DAW, but a Live performance tool with creative compositional tools (such as Session view) which were unique.

You could say Ableton started going more DAW centric at Live 4 which included MIDI, but since they added plugin delay compensation, dithering, sidechaining, video, group tracks, crossfades and more mastering friendly plugs such as Spectrum, Limiter, Multiband Dynamics and an improved Compressor etc, Live 8 now has much of the traditional core functionality of the old established linear DAWS (scoring and multichannel audio being obvious exceptions).

I think this was in the thinking of friend_kami. Quite a few users of Live still grimace at it being labelled as a DAW and wish Ableton would focus on the creative sound design elements instead of making it more like Logic and Cubase.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Jarvisimon
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: England

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Until recently, Live was not really considered as a DAW, but a Live performance tool with creative compositional tools (such as Session view) which were unique.
A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation, meaning that it manipulates digitised audio on a central platform. It includes digital answerphones, dictaphones, samplers and other such devices.

DAW has been given over to meaning a midi and digital audio recorder/sequencer with the ability to use internalised computer CPU driven instruments.

Perhaps we should stop using the DAW tag as it's not really accurate enough for the job.

tlennon
Posts: 1627
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:58 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by tlennon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 pm

I hardly think of answering machines, ditcaphones, tape recorder and the like as DAWs. I think the accepted components of the term DAW are a good general discription and emphazing workstation as the difference btw other recording devices. What exactly would you call it?
Terrence Lennon
Image

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:51 pm

I make sick beats on my answering machine. bounce that down to cassette and then play it backwards while shaking chickens and rolling dice. real DAWs have goat's blood, counter resets, ff and rewind on em! :twisted:



beep.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

evon
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: Jamrock

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by evon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:Until recently, Live was not really considered as a DAW, but a Live performance tool with creative compositional tools (such as Session view) which were unique.
A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation, meaning that it manipulates digitised audio on a central platform. It includes digital answerphones, dictaphones, samplers and other such devices.

DAW has been given over to meaning a midi and digital audio recorder/sequencer with the ability to use internalised computer CPU driven instruments.

Perhaps we should stop using the DAW tag as it's not really accurate enough for the job.

+1

So, welcome to the new world of the LAW's (Live Audio Workstation, and here undoubtedly Ableton Live is the king of the heap.
fe real!

hasseg
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:12 am

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by hasseg » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 am

This is the biggest reason why I don't use or upgrade Live anymore.
H20nly wrote:I make sick beats on my answering machine. bounce that down to cassette and then play it backwards while shaking chickens and rolling dice. real DAWs have goat's blood, counter resets, ff and rewind on em! :twisted:



beep.

LeifonMars
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:48 am

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:45 pm

hasseg wrote:This is the biggest reason why I don't use or upgrade Live anymore.
H20nly wrote:I make sick beats on my answering machine. bounce that down to cassette and then play it backwards while shaking chickens and rolling dice. real DAWs have goat's blood, counter resets, ff and rewind on em! :twisted:



beep.
Exactly. I was more than happy with Live 7, but upgraded because of M4L. Now retrospective thinking, there were no features necessary for my workflow introduced in Live 8. As soon as they get Live 8 stable, I doubt I will be upgrading again (unless it's really necessary :D ).
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

TCONELLYJOTYAS
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:38 am
Location: New Zealand!

Re: ABLETON LIVE VOTED BEST DAW IN THE WORLD

Post by TCONELLYJOTYAS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:26 pm

No Suprises there. (New Zealand Joke)

Post Reply