Best way of FREEZING ???

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Amberience

Best way of FREEZING ???

Post by Amberience » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:56 pm

What are some people's recommendations for freezing Live sequencer tracks?

I know I can simply solo a channel and render it and then reimport it, but I'm interested in hearing other methods too.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

drez

Post by drez » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:57 pm

You can create an audio track right next to the VSTi track, run the audio "from" the MIDI track "to" the Audio track, and then just record the clips you want to audio. If you have the audio track "ON", then you will always here the MIDI channel through it.

Works well for me.
http://www.twitter.com/dreznicek
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook Pro Retina Laptop, 2.7Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM, 500G SSD, Live 9, Push, Novation SL25 Mk2, iPad (TouchOSC, Lemur, Touch-Able), Reason

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:33 pm

Yep, thats the way I do it. Turn quantize on and it'll be all trimmed and ready for you....couldn't be easier.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:48 pm

-AND you can do many tracks at a time.

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:38 am

This is also my prefered "bounce" or "freeze" technique. Works for entire mixes as well...

I simply dont do any offline rendering in Live anymore with the new routing capabilities.
I cant think of a sig

steved

quality test

Post by steved » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:26 am

I just tried resampling a clip ( 24bit 44khz ) - then resampled the resultant clip etc to see how many times it would take to notice any deterioration. I did it 12 times and couldn't tell the difference from the original clip. Admittedly - the original clip was of electronic instruments - if I'd tried it with an acoustic guitar or voice it might have been different. I'll try it later.
Nocturn early adopter ....

Analytik J

Post by Analytik J » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:06 am

what quantize setting do you prefer for different instruments ? drums? or bass ?or synth pads ? or ? you get the idea.
Thanks in advance

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:45 am

I'd prefer doing it offline because then the CPU limits don't get in the way, and you don't have to listen to your track over and over and over again - if you wanted to freeze your entire drum-track into its constituent parts, but your track is 10minutes long ... well... going to be very boring. :lol:

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:42 am

I've just finshed rendering/freezing all the VST's in my latest track all 16 midi tracks of VST/Reason rewire + Effects and am doing the whole piece it back together in arranger view job.

123 audio clips later 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O the results are fantastic.
The Tracks gone from 79% CPU down to around 15-19% with the use of just a couple of sends and para-eq / compression and multiband comp/limiter on output for the final mix.

Very happy indeed.
I'm not even concerned with overly CPU hoggy VSTi's anymore as they are so easily rendered to audio in realtime it's not funny .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:04 pm

Yeah I've been doing that, but sometimes I'll have 32 or so rewire channels active, and then a few instances of Absynth and Ambience, and the song wont even play all the way through without crashing?!

Do you just deactive what you're not rendering down, and then move through your tracks that way? So you've effectively only got one track active at one time.

How about send effects - do they get rendered as seperate files, or do they go in with the track clips??

I want to keep as much control over the audio as I can, whilst committing my "score" to audio, getting away from midi.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:32 pm

Amberience wrote:How about send effects - do they get rendered as seperate files, or do they go in with the track clips??

I want to keep as much control over the audio as I can, whilst committing my "score" to audio, getting away from midi.
you can re-route the send channels to an audio track too and record them.