Is there a way to make the draw mode like FL-Studio?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
howsoonisnow

Is there a way to make the draw mode like FL-Studio?

Post by howsoonisnow » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:20 pm

I was wondering if there was way to configure the Draw/pencil mode. [When you manually draw the keyboard notes in the piano with the mouse and not a midi keyboard.] To be "VERY-USER-Friendly" like FL - Studio.

I hate how Ableton makes you click on/off if just want to extend a note. It's so stupid!

Please anyhow know if there is like a special way to re-wire it?

gibson_ewok

Re: Is there a way to make the draw mode like FL-Studio?

Post by gibson_ewok » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:49 pm

I think it's pretty easy. I have 2 methods when writing MIDI in Ableton with a mouse.

Method 1 : Have 1 hand on ctrl + b or cmd + b on mac. And press cmd + b to go into pencil mode to draw a note then cmd + b again to go back to cursor mode where you can mess with the length.

Method 2 : Double click once somewhere on the matrix editor (piano roll) to create a note. Then turn the headphone icon on in the top left of the piano roll then press cmd + d to duplicate notes and the left, right, up and down keys to move your newly duplicated note around. You will be able to hear the note its producing if you have that headphone icon turned on (it will go blue). Press shift up and down to move octaves.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bill.
www.mrbillstunes.com

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

thas exactly what we are trying to avoid.

left click -add note / point in automation
right click -erase
ñeft and drag - drag

faster

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:55 pm

howsoonisnow wrote:I hate how Ableton makes you click on/off if just want to extend a note. It's so stupid!
Huh? 8O

They don't. Before complaining I really suggest trying this stuff out yourself first. :roll:

When you have a midi clip simply double click it to enter clip view. Then you can mangle the notes as much as you want: move, resize, alter velocity on either one, several or all notes. Once selected you can even move stuff one octave up or down with the press of a button (actually two ;-)).
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:54 pm

hi,

its not about the clips in session view.

are the notes , and also automation points

" Having to switch between two tools to do one thing , editing ,is slower as not having to switch back and forwards "

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:05 pm

When you want to extend on a note you're talking about midi data aren't you?

And I have said nothing about session view; only clip view which is available in both session and arrangement view. What I mentioned above goes for both. Double click on a clip and you can extend notes as much as you like.

Funny to suddenly mention automation as well, but seriously; same answer. You can easily alter automation in arrangement view lanes without having draw mode enabled.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:18 pm

ya this is one place where Ableton owns reason... you don't have to switch tools... they are all in the mouse... once enter the piano roll... double click to add a note or erase one OR right click and select the draw mode which allows you to add and erase notes with one click vs two clicks... to extend notes, make sure you have draw mode off, click and drag the edge of the note, same thing goes for automation.... personally I think it's much easier than FL
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:54 pm

In FL you draw your whole pattern in (with the pencil) not the notes don't you? Notes are part of the pattern and then you draw the pattern in based on how many bars you set it to be.

In Live you can draw a pattern by hand (if you want) and then you can select it and hit ctrl + d to duplicate so you don't actually have to switch tools or anything. Aside from getting started (in Live), which I've never figured out how to do without hitting record for a second, then stopping and then resizing the clip, it seems to me that it takes the same amount of steps. To get started in FL your pattern is ready, unlike Live, but you still have to click on the _______ button (whatever FL calls that bit where you use the pencil, brush etc.) so you're at like a click or two difference.

Considering how many times you'd be tapping if you were actually playing your own beat... this seems like a moot point. :wink:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

hdpguitar

Post by hdpguitar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:15 pm

I feel the original poster. FL is WAY more intuitive and logical with the pencil/draw tool. Whatever you're pointing at, the pencil adjusts that. Each note also has an individual pan slider much like it's velocity slider. And, you can draw notes freely on the piano roll. With ableton when you click-hold you can only draw notes on the exact note you were hovering over when you clicked (horizontally). Click-hold vertical movement for velocity is not useful to me. IN FL you just draw whatever you want with click-hold, on different notes, draw a picture with the notes, freely, then you can hover over the velocity/panning sliders and draw right on top of that too. Bam! You can also group stretch/shrink, and stretch the notes so much they cover other notes if you decide you want them spaced out more. It's just more fun and let's you be more creative and playful. The ableton draw mode is like putting training wheels on a bike and then removing some gears and making it harder to steer. I still enjoy ableton very much, but the FL draw mode is much better.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:10 am

It would be better if right-button swipe deleted notes, like in FL. Right-click without moving the mouse would bring up the context menu just the way it currently does. And holding down a modifier to adjust note velocity whilst moving up and down adjusts note position (pitch) in the piano roll, again just like in FL studio. Of course this will never happen, because everybody thinks it's perfect as it is now.