Is there a way to make the draw mode like FL-Studio?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jestermgee

Re: Is there a way to make the draw mode like FL-Studio?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:52 am

I think you are just failing to see my point.
Kind of am I think. I just don't see an issue and the fact this thread is almost 10 years old now suggests not many others do either. Maybe i'm just accustomed to how it works and it's intuitive enough for me not to be bothered.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:18 am

jestermgee wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:52 am
I think you are just failing to see my point.
Kind of am I think. I just don't see an issue and the fact this thread is almost 10 years old now suggests not many others do either. Maybe i'm just accustomed to how it works and it's intuitive enough for me not to be bothered.
I'm genuinely curious, wouldn't you find it strange if Ableton used Shift+Click to select multiple clips in Session View and Ctrl+Click in Arrange View? It'd be similar to switching the left and right mouse buttons in different parts of the program. You can get used to it, sure, but it's not ideal. Kinda like irregular verbs in the English language—it's a quirk.

A well designed user interface always tries to adopt well-established standards whenever possible (e.g. Ctrl+S to save instead, say, Shift+Alt+E), and also tries to be consistent with itself (e.g. Ctrl+C for copy everywhere instead of, hypothetically, Ctrl+C in Session View and Ctrl+Shift+C in Arrange View). This enables new users to intuitively figure out the product, because they can make assumptions based on previously acquired knowledge and the assumptions happen to be correct most of the time. Users enjoy using the product even more because they are not constantly fighting intuition, the word spreads, Ableton user base grows and everyone's happy.

As much as I appreciate FL's flexibility, this is the one area where FL Studio needs to improve. With FL you are always learning new tricks, and it's hard to get a sense of mastery (not as extreme a case as Reaper though). Meanwhile, Ableton Live gives users a very predictable user interface that can actually be mastered, which I think is the reason why Live is the most popular DAW. Take that from someone who's used FL for many years.

I'm only a Live newbie but without even reading the manual, I've been able to figure out enough of the product to start making tunes. For me this is huge because switching DAWs is a scary prospect and Ableton really makes it easy.

Post by 616659 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Completely switching controls could be very confusing, but having an option to switch controls would solve that problem. Just like how a lot of gamers have their own unique keybinds to play effectively, everyone would have better time producing if we can have our own preferred control method. Those who got used to Ableton's controls can stick to original control, while some others who find Ableton's control ineffective can switch.

I really don't like controls of Ableton, especially when editing MIDI, so I would love to have an option to switch to different controls.
KFB

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:46 am

deleted