Questions on importing own aiff file

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ryan_khoo

Questions on importing own aiff file

Post by ryan_khoo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I am buying the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface which comes with the Ableton software. But the Saffire is out of stock for 3 weeks. Until such time, I am not able to get hold of the Ableton software.

So, can I ask:

1) Can I import my own aiff file & mix it together with the vocal which is from the external input via a microphone ?

2) If my own aiff file from (1) above is in 16bit/48kHz, when do the mixing with the vocal, can I still select the settings output from Ableton to be 24bit/96kHz ? If no, then what shall I select ?

Thanks

Cheers

ryan_khoo

Re: Questions on importing own aiff file

Post by ryan_khoo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm

ryan_khoo wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I am buying the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface which comes with the Ableton software. But the Saffire is out of stock for 3 weeks. Until such time, I am not able to get hold of the Ableton software.

So, can I ask:

1) Can I import my own aiff file & mix it together with the vocal which is from the external input via a microphone ?

2) If my own aiff file from (1) above is in 16bit/48kHz, when do the mixing with the vocal, can I still select the settings output from Ableton to be 24bit/96kHz ? If no, then what shall I select ?

Thanks

Cheers
Anyone, please ?

Thanks

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:45 am

yes.. ableton is pretty good in importing files in any samplerate.. ..
if the aiffs samplerate dont matches the one of your new projekt, the projekt smplerate is taken and the samplerate conversion is allways on.. in your case the 44,1 k file gets replayed at 96k...
when abletons samplerate conversion is good 88,2 khz should give the best result on 44,1 k files
however the difference is little to impossible to judge whats better...

so no problem to go to a higher rate... can sound even better when you need to use warping or pitchchanges on your aiff
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

ryan_khoo

Post by ryan_khoo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:25 pm

3phase wrote:yes.. ableton is pretty good in importing files in any samplerate.. ..
if the aiffs samplerate dont matches the one of your new projekt, the projekt smplerate is taken and the samplerate conversion is allways on.. in your case the 44,1 k file gets replayed at 96k...
when abletons samplerate conversion is good 88,2 khz should give the best result on 44,1 k files

so no problem to go to a higher rate... can sound even better when you need to use warping or pitchchanges on your aiff
Thanks 3phase for your response, really appreciate it ...

Can I know what options are available in Ableton (ie what bit rate & what kHz) when we output the file ?

Thanks

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Ableton Demo is fully functional for 30 days.
Problem solved.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:22 pm

ryan_khoo wrote:
3phase wrote:yes.. ableton is pretty good in importing files in any samplerate.. ..

Thanks 3phase for your response, really appreciate it ...

Can I know what options are available in Ableton (ie what bit rate & what kHz) when we output the file ?

Thanks
pretty worthless advice since he left off using hi quality SRC in options-preferences-audio. aside from watching your warp modes that's the biggest fault in sound quality.

to see the options just fire up the 'render' menu under File. the usual suspects are there.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"