best MIDI controller for Live - production?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
boderekstits

best MIDI controller for Live - production?

Post by boderekstits » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Hey guys,

Getting back into the game after some time away. Looking to get a new MIDI keyboard/controller for productions at home. I've been looking at the Novation SL-25 for its automap features and compact size. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Re: best MIDI controller for Live - production?

Post by 4.33 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:18 pm

a mouse. no, really. a mouse is all you need.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Any other recommendations?
well, there aren't so much MIDI controllers on the market... I think Akai and Korg have released one or two by the past...

:lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:47 pm

depends on what you need, what you already have and what you can spend.

I freaking LOVE my BCR, so damn cheap, gobs of knobs, changes presets instantly, acts as a USB-midi hub.

I have an SL25, ever since I got my APC I haven't touched the SL (I have another keyboard with a full set of keys.) I also LOVE my Launch Pad. for drum pads I use an MPC.

the Akai MPK series is pretty sexy, if I had to do it all over again I might have started with one of those instead of the SL25.

for opinions on the SL series look for Glitchrock Buddha, he's up on the latest software tweaks and whatnot.

start browsing gear sites, there's only so many things out there. also go to a store to touch and feel the controllers before you buy them.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:56 pm

if you are going t spend the money on a nice keyboard midi troller combo, why not go with a full on synth.

channelite

Post by channelite » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 pm

I recommend the Korg Pad Kontrol. So far, this has been my favorite controller out of the ones I tried: Axiom 25, Akai MPD 16, 24, 32 and APC 40. Get a used pad kontrol on ebay, for a great value.