new korg microkontrol - with full size keys

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
milka

Post by milka » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:33 pm

kabuki wrote:
milka wrote:Hi, could not find anything about Korg Kontrol49 on the Korg.com ...
Is this controller out yet?
and how are the pads in real use on the mictroKontrol?
...i am mainly interested in those pads for use with impulse instead of keabord keys or computer keyboard.

The pads are great. Better than the Akai MPD 16 pads (but not as spongy as the MPC series)

Good kit.
why are the pads on Mikrokontrol better than on AKAI MpD16?

milka

Post by milka » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:35 pm

is Mikrokontrol 49 going to be avaliable in Europe?

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:15 pm

they'll probably be announced at NAMM and after that come to stores in the US and Europe.

salatspinatra

frankly mr. shankly I LIKE those little keys

Post by salatspinatra » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:32 pm

I've always had a piano in my life, so if anyone SHOULD be a snob about action, weighted keys, and muscle memory, it should be me.

Truth is for me,
1) smaller keys don't take more reorienting to than, say, taking a pair of sun glasses on and off.
2) the smaller keys allow for more interesting, varied, and open voicings. Because you can reach them. Not all music was build on keyboard chords, you know. How else would you plan to stretch your hand in the shape of a guitar chord, for example, without playing the guitar? How would you emulate the 10th between the sopranos and the Bass if you were emulated voices (not that I do).
3) For the same reason, using the mini-keyboard as a controller allows you to reach more remote, unrelated clips if you've separated scenes, songs, etc. by octave.

What I would like to see on the microkontrol is an unlatch for the joystick. On the novation you can disengage the spring. This would be great for setting a point in the x/y axis of an effect, for example. As it is now. The joystick jumps from extreme to extreme and so do the parameters.

Secondly, I DO envy the x/y pad on the Novation too. Although I do have a kaos already, heck I want 2 of em.

And you do loose some symetry with having only 8 rotaries 8 faders, if you use the crossfader and such. The novation has 9 faders.

I don't envy the novation manufacturing, however. The microkontrol has less of a "hobby" feel to it.

Best,

Salat