First Release Candidate for Live 8.1.4: Live 8.1.4b3

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Amaury

Re: First Release Candidate for Live 8.1.4: Live 8.1.4b3

Post by Amaury » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:27 pm

ilia wrote: Amo, I will try to send the bug reports. My work computer is not connected to the internet, so it gets a bit cumbersome. More to the point, please realize that it's getting increasingly frustrating to be beta testing the software this late into the release. I understand that these are betas, but the proper releases were never stable for me either. The other night I was working on a deadlined commercial project and decided to give the RC a go, since I needed some of 8's features. After several incredibly frustrating hours with Live literally crashing every 2-3 minutes, I had to give up and recreate the whole thing in Live 7, which I am still using for most of my work. I am not the one to vent on forums, and I use Live every day for 6-8 hours, but at this point I am really hoping you guys can sort this out.
Hello,

I understand the situation and am sorry for the inconvenience. Beta doesn't mean it should be worst than a release version, it's supposed to be better. It seems to be for the majority of the users, both in this forum and outside.

I guess there is a specific problem related to your system, or more realistically with one of the plugins you're using. That's why I think contacting support could benefit not only you but the whole community.

Thanks a lot for stopping by and giving feedback.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

ilia

Post by ilia » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 am

Amaury wrote: Thanks a lot for stopping by and giving feedback.
and thank you for listening.

when I get time, I'll try to check if eliminating some plugins from the sets eases the problem. sometimes I wonder if it were possible to write a plugin standard (or build one into the OS), so that the host application could limit the address space available to plugins in such a way that a faulty plugin could never crash the host (analogous to a kernel/user mode of OSs).

gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 am

Tech support pointed the finger at my plugs-ins as well. I have been mainly using another DAW as I'm waiting for these problems to get sorted before I come back to Live. I donated my time during the actual Live 8 beta phase so at this point I've had enough. The only way I will continue to donate my time troubleshooting and beta-testing is if Ableton starts paying for your hard work. It turns from fun into hard work when at any moment the program will just vanish into thin air. I have had no crashes using the exact same plug-ins on the exact same computer using another host. I have been using this other host extensively so I need somebody to help me understand the logic behind saying it's the plug-ins fault when Live crashes. From my personnel experience it seems that it is Live 8 that is currently sensitive to plug-ins and the focus should continue to be making Live as solid as possible. I do miss working with Live. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.
-----------------------------------------------
Todd Matthews
http://www.facebook.com/mydarlingfury
http://twitter.com/mydarlingfury | http://mydarlingfury.com

EpikureeR

Post by EpikureeR » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey Amaury,
i just recognized that sometimes my playback goes completely wild.
It stutters and play my clips totally randomly for a few seconds stutters again a bit, and then after a 2-3sec break it plays normally back, i think i experienced this already in 8.13.
Just mentioning, but i can't get a report because it doesn't really crash.
EpikureeR

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm

EpikureeR wrote:Hey Amaury,
It stutters and play my clips totally randomly for a few seconds stutters again a bit, and then after a 2-3sec break it plays normally back, i think i experienced this already in 8.13.
EpikureeR
+1

its like the warp markers are gone wild

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

EpikureeR
Actually, you can report this. In the help menu you'll find a "Report a Bug" feature.
This creates a pack that has all the relevant info a crash pack has, but without needing to crash Live.

EpikureeR

Post by EpikureeR » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
EpikureeR
Actually, you can report this. In the help menu you'll find a "Report a Bug" feature.
This creates a pack that has all the relevant info a crash pack has, but without needing to crash Live.
Alright when i run into this again i'll do this
EpikureeR

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:37 am

why are relese canditates crashing so much more than previous versions?

the previous versions have other bugs that are anoying but are stable..than the anoying bugs get fixed and the crashing starts again...

this is the 3rd or 4t time that penomenology is repeating..

why is that?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:17 pm

3phase wrote:why are relese canditates crashing so much more than previous versions?

the previous versions have other bugs that are anoying but are stable..than the anoying bugs get fixed and the crashing starts again...

why is that?
i have not a single crash under very heavy usage

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:21 pm

ilya.soloviev wrote:
3phase wrote:why are relese canditates crashing so much more than previous versions?

why is that?
i have not a single crash under very heavy usage
thats really great for you but dont turns the software into a stable one..at least as long no official incompatibility list exsists

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:24 pm

why is that?
You could stop bitching at the Abes (I know it's a habit that's hard for you to break), and do them a favor: send a bug report. Maybe it might, you know, help them solve more problems?
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:38 pm

casiblake wrote:

why is that?
You could stop bitching at the Abes (I know it's a habit that's hard for you to break), and do them a favor: send a bug report. Maybe it might, you know, help them solve more problems?
i often send in bug reports or crash files.. but not on any crash anymore... when i ve people in the studio i dont start an internet session, and the next day will show another problem.. so every third crash i send in a bug file..sometimes i write something in the bug forum.. but its pretty useless..also when already solved bugs apear again after 6 month you think some things go in circles here..

my question is still unanswered..why are release candidates worse than in between versions on my machine? is this just by accident or is there something changing with release versions that might interfear with my hardware?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:47 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 am

3phase wrote:
casiblake wrote:

why is that?
i often send in bug reports or crash files.. but not on any crash anymore... when i ve people in the studio i dont start an internet session, and the next day will show another problem.. so every third crash i send in a bug file..sometimes i write something in the bug forum.. but its pretty useless..also when already solved bugs apear again after 6 month you think some things go in circles here..

my question is still unanswered..why are release candidates worse than in between versions on my machine? is this just by accident or is there something changing with release versions that might interfear with my hardware?
Have you also tried SL 1.6.4 (latest update)?
Just curious.

- Best
- Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:34 am

gtodd876 wrote:Tech support pointed the finger at my plugs-ins as well.
Here too. Yet those plug-ins work fine in Live 6 and Cubase...

It does feel like blaming plug-ins is all too easy an answer. However, I understand that (in my case at least) they are now talking to the plug-in manufacturer (IK Multimedia) to see if they can find a solution. But it has been an issue for over a year...

And, yes, I've sent them lots of crash dumps!
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II