Juno synth in Röyksopp - Vision One.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funknotik

Juno synth in Röyksopp - Vision One.

Post by funknotik » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:27 am

Usually don't like this kind of stuff but the bassline really stood out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUgktUe6q2s
Any one know of a Juno synth vst? Wanna get some grindy bassline like that one.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

cacti

Re: Juno synth in Röyksopp - Vision One.

Post by cacti » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:46 am

I love Royksopp.

JamieinNC

Post by JamieinNC » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how they get the crackle in there and how the texture seems to follow the underlying bass. I think they are slowly modulating a deep saw with resonance, but I'm not quite sure. I can get close with trilian but it's not quite there. They do the same thing in "happy up here." Great sound.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:02 pm

sure it's a Juno? could be any synth no?
I know I can get that sound from my NM1 with a mixture of a vocoder, phaser, vocal filter and a tad distortion..

:Metaphor:

Post by :Metaphor: » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:32 pm

A Juno on it's own won't get that type of sound. It's defo some engineering trickery to get that tone. My guess is a regular sawtooth bass patch + saw with Ring mod/freq shifter & Boost & Highpassed. Both then grouped through a phaser. Or something like that

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:54 am

JamieinNC wrote:Yeah I've been trying to figure out how they get the crackle in there and how the texture seems to follow the underlying bass. I think they are slowly modulating a deep saw with resonance, but I'm not quite sure. I can get close with trilian but it's not quite there. They do the same thing in "happy up here." Great sound.
Yeah the bassline has the grinding sound kind of sweeping in and out. Really unique, for some reason I convinced myself it was a Juno but it could probably be done with any synth. I did however read they use a juno in alot of their music. I've only heard these sort of heavy saw type synths on squarepushers stuff on Go Plastic. Always wanted to make a bassline like that but never got around to it.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:01 am

I thought I read somewhere shortly after the album was released that the sound was a Virus preset. I could be totally wrong, but that's what springs to mind. Without a Virus I can't really check. Still, a pretty wicked sound.

djwack

Post by djwack » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:20 pm

That's a really familiar bassline.. Is it from a Stevie Wonder song?

Psy-trance people should be able to recreate this kind of sound easily (?) At least it reminds me of a hardsynced lead sound from a psy-tune.. You ain't going to get this kind of a sound from a juno without FX, that's for sure.

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:22 pm

My tip would be running a saw wave through a vocoder with the carrier and modulator being the same saw synth. And then a waveshaper like saturator or something.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:57 am

Yes, the bassline is from a Stevie Wonder song.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:20 am

jonathan harker wrote:maybe this one: http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-U-No-62 cheers!
Love this VST. It's dirty, but that's part of the love.

truthfinder

Post by truthfinder » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:29 am

"Vision One" from their new "Junior"Album.What Synth or ? did they use and How did they get that sound? Settings? I've never heard that sound done that well and controlled..
The sound I'm asking about is obvious.Starts 45 seconds in...I don't know what to call it.He's turning knobs to control the twisting /creeking corkscrew sound possibly 2 knobs at once.Would like to get close to that sound.
I have a Little Phatty,a MG-1,Juno 106 and Evolver to work with.I'm close to it but no cigar...Thanks,Adrian

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:41 am

This sound is possible with just using live devices.

I made this quick demo (I use the Tal Uno62 but you will notice that the sound of the synth itself isn't that important).
First bars are just the Uno62, then I turn my Audio Effect rack on (Phaser - Saturator (WS) - Saturator (Sine Curve) - EQ8).
Volume of the bass lead stays the same, but the effect rack makes it shine ;)

Sequence isn't perfect atm, but hey I only spent 20 minutes making this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/401616441/Roykloop.wav.html
Last edited by Sarrova-Q on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

cacti

Post by cacti » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Sarrova-Q wrote:This sound is possible with just using live devices.

I made this quick demo (I use the Tal Uno62 but you will notice that the sound of the synth itself isn't that important).
First bars are just the Uno62, then I turn my Audio Effect rack on (Phaser - Saturator (WS) - Saturator (Hard Curve) - EQ8).
Volume of the bass lead stays the same, but the effect rack makes it shine ;)

Sequence isn't perfect atm, but hey I only spent 20 minutes making this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/401616441/Roykloop.wav.html

pretty cool, you should up the patch :wink: