Pitchy bass...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
JamieinNC

Pitchy bass...

Post by JamieinNC » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone can explain to me why the use of a short, repetitive deep synth-bass seems to change it's pitch after a little while of listening. I clearly have an outline of a diminished chord in a particular rhythm that sounds great for the first 8-16 bars, but the more I listen, it somehow morphs into what sounds like a major chord! I don't know if it is the rhythm I'm using or the pitches I've chosen, but I have done lots of tweaking to cure the issue and it doesn't seem to be holding. Is this normal? I'm wondering if some of the experts can lead me to a solution. I don't think it Is scored too low, but my next plan of action is to layer a couple of similar sounds and slowly modulate some of the parameters that may bring out some of the harmonics for pitch stability.

Am I on the correct track? Thanks in advance...

Jamie

swishniak

Re: Pitchy bass...

Post by swishniak » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:36 pm

sounds like your ears are broken

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Does that bass already have different waves tuned to certain intervals? Maybe after a while of listening you can just pick them out more....i dont know
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

:Metaphor:

Post by :Metaphor: » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Is it possible that the pitch of your bass patch is assigned to velocity?

were you playing with the pitch bend wheel on a midi controller while the clip was playing? If so, you may have unknowingly recorded some automation information that you need to erase.

Can't think of any other reason why this would happen, unless the bass patch you're using has a pitch envelope assigned to it over time. Check your automation first, on both the clip and in the automation lane.