Dropping Songs From itunes to Ableton Problem, Please Help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8O

Re: Dropping Songs From itunes to Ableton Problem, Please Help

Post by 8O » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:32 am

One thing to watch out for is in the latest iTunes installation, it's moved all your music from Music/iTunes/iTunes Music to Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music - i.e. another folder deeper.

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:19 pm

kkaannee wrote:Dalski, has your problem only occurrd since downloading iTunes 9.2 as well?
Yes

8O wrote:One thing to watch out for is in the latest iTunes installation, it's moved all your music from Music/iTunes/iTunes Music to Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music - i.e. another folder deeper.
You mean from iTunes 8 to iTunes 9 right? That hasn't happened from iTunes 9.1 to 9.2, well not on OS X anyway. I assume you're using windows as the folder "iTunes Music" hasn't been called iTunes Music since version 9, it's changed to iTunes Media. So it's Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music.

I assume the problem the OP is talking about is the update from 9.1 to 9.2 has broken drag and drop from iTunes to Live 7...which is the case I am experiencing....on my updated :roll: version of Live 7.0.18.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:33 pm

Dalski wrote:
8O wrote:One thing to watch out for is in the latest iTunes installation, it's moved all your music from Music/iTunes/iTunes Music to Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music - i.e. another folder deeper.
You mean from iTunes 8 to iTunes 9 right? That hasn't happened from iTunes 9.1 to 9.2, well not on OS X anyway. I assume you're using windows as the folder "iTunes Music" hasn't been called iTunes Music since version 9, it's changed to iTunes Media. So it's Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music.
No, OS X - as mentioned in the first reply to the OP. Drag'n'drop to Live worked fine for me on 10.6.3, and now also on 10.6.4.

With the folder depth, no idea when it changed, assumed it was 9.2, but could've been 8->9, yes... Was just confusing as the artists folders still contained all the Live .asd files, so iTunes hadn't deleted them and so I had two sets of folders both containing hundreds of artists, but only one set actually containing the music files.

For the original question, is it possible that the Quicktime version needs updating, or is that automatically included in the iTunes update?

Update: just checked it on Live 6.0.11 and Live 7.0.18 and it *doesn't* work. Only works ok with Live 8 (8.1.3)...

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:28 am

Live 8.1.4
iTunes 9.2

Dragging from iTunes did not work.

I quit both apps, ran Disk Utility to repair permisions, launched both apps, & it did work.

So, it both does & does not work. In other words, a typical computer crap shoot! :?

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 am

oblique strategies wrote:Live 8.1.4
iTunes 9.2

Dragging from iTunes did not work.

I quit both apps, ran Disk Utility to repair permisions, launched both apps, & it did work.

So, it both does & does not work. In other words, a typical computer crap shoot! :?
Maybe temperamental with Live 8.x.x but with Live 7.0.18 it's a total non-starter!

So...the question is...who do we see about this, do Apple put it right, or Ableton?

My guess would have been that Apple updated the library structure so the Abes need to update Live to be compatible with the new library, but if that was the case then it wouldn't work at all on any version of Live. I'm awaiting an updated version of iTunes to see if this fixes stuff. Apples new releases have been a bit shonky as of late...iTunes, iPhone4 and don't even get me started on Safari 5! (Average 30-40 crashes a day (queue jokes about Live 8 developers being involved with Safari 5 dev))

If an update to iTunes does not fix the drag & drop issue i'd like to know if Ableton will give us a 7.0.19 fix?? There's no way i'm updating to Live 8 for a bug fix...now that would just be ironic!

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 am

^ As it works ok in Live 8, but breaks Live 6 & 7, I'd guess it'd be within Ableton's scope to update 6 & 7 to work again with the latest iTunes. Have you sent them a bug report and/or post in the Support forum?

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:40 am

Not yet, to be honest I forgot about this until Oblique posted this morning, I'll get onto it.

As I said though, if Apple updated the iTunes Library structure then it wouldn't work in any version of Live, it's not like it was broke in 8.1.3 then fixed in 8.1.4 for example. It has always worked in 8. So my guess is, it's a crappy iTunes release as opposed to an update to the working of iTunes. I'm blaming Crapple this time. Awaiting update.

:-)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 am

he? when did that happened?

i use i~Tunes since version2 and it never did that in my case...!?
*** Image GAFM ***

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 pm

SubFunk wrote:

It changed at version 9, as already mentioned it's...Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music (or at least it should be)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Dalski wrote:
SubFunk wrote:

It changed at version 9, as already mentioned it's...Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music (or at least it should be)
odd it never changed for me, my path was always and still is:

Music->iTunes->iTunes Music

but whatever, it is working, i was just wondering...
*** Image GAFM ***

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Dalski wrote:I'm blaming Crapple this time. Awaiting update.

:-)
Talk of the bloody devil...iTunes update 9.2.1 just out...

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/19/app ... -1-update/

Apple has released a maintenance update for iTunes today. The new version is available via Apple's Software Update and provides a number of bug fixes:
- Disables older versions of some incompatible third-party plug-ins
- Addresses minor issues with dragging and dropping items
- Addresses a performance issue when first syncing to some devices with iTunes 9.2
- Addresses an issue upgrading to iOS 4 on an iPhone or iPod touch with encrypted back-ups
- Addresses other issues that improve stability and performance

The software is also available for download direct from Apple's site.

Doesn't fix the issue though! 8O

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:21 pm

- Addresses minor issues with dragging and dropping items

And still doesn't work? Insert expletive here. I need to try this for myself.

And what do folks mean by "deeper folder?" are you stating that the iTunes library is now in package contents or a hidden folder? Do you have the advanced option in iTunes checked (to paraphrase) 'organize files and folders' yadda yadda? Why would iTunes restructure your folders otherwise? BTW, you def. don't want this option on after you've created alc files within your album folders. If you ever need to migrate your itunes library, the xml file for iTunes will not know how to find any files in iTunes. I can explain further, but it's been awhile since I've thought about this stuff.

zenvision

Post by zenvision » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:31 pm

i have the same problem! driving me crazy...have to keep doing 'show in finder' to get the mp3s manually and drop them in

i'm running live 7.0.18 and itunes 9.2.1 and decided to stick with leopard 10.5.8 rather than upgrade to snow...

what's going on?!

:(
Alex

steko

Post by steko » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:58 pm

@ Sub-"Tony Montana"-Funk & salatspinatra: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3847 -If you move to the new ITunes organization scheme, your next incremental backup could take a really long time!

This happen before - workaround thanks to forumite misal: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=865339#p865339 - http://sites.google.com/site/littleituneshelp/itoones
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6