What can Ableton bring to my DJ setup and vice versa.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elektroman

Post by elektroman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Ok guys, i need your opinions here. I'm fairly new to Live and absolutely love using it. So if there is a beginner overload questions here, you have my permission to shoot me down.
I've been DJ-ing for almost 12 years now. Went from technics, to CDJ-500's, and been sitting on a very simple CDJ400/DJM400, setup for a little while now, since i cut down down on my DJ work. I've also been working in a studio, with a mate working on our own stuff, mainly using Cubase/Logic for a few years now. Trance is my theme and has always been.
Anyways, i'll cut to the chase. I recently decided i need some fresh air, so i dumped my complete Cubase setup and hopped aboard the ableton ship and as i said above i'm loving every bit of it. Building tracks is now such breeze... The ability, to launch clips with launchpad and/or my APC, while its all being recorded/arranged, is incredible and so versatile.

But i've NEVER, brought my DJ setup and my producing setup together. And i think it's time to look into it....
From what i realize with Ableton they can work quiet nicely together and can be lots of fun. My CDJ's have USB(midi) out's, meaning i (possibly?) could control some aspects of Ableton via the CDJ's? My mate mentioned Serrato to me, but it's all new to me. Plain information overload. Could anybody here point me in a right direction as what sort of a setup i could have with some of the gear i own? Or what else would i need to get, in order to bring the 2 worlds together. What sort of things can i do with them 2 combined together.
I'm currently on a PC, but looking into getting a Mac or MBP rather soon, depending on what setup i go for.

Thanks and sorry for the long read, and thanks ahead for any information!
Live 9 / Cubase 9 Pro, Win10 x64, Ryzen 2600, UR44C + KRK 6" G3's, Push MK1, LaunghKey 49 MK2

elektroman

Re: What can Ableton bring to my DJ setup and vice versa.

Post by elektroman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 pm

Somebody, anybody :lol:

I will soon also be upgrading to CDJ900's.
Live 9 / Cubase 9 Pro, Win10 x64, Ryzen 2600, UR44C + KRK 6" G3's, Push MK1, LaunghKey 49 MK2

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:17 am

I don't know about your gear, since I am not in the DJ world, but does your shit send Midi Time code? This way Ableton live will open up a whole new world of possibilities
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

elektroman

Post by elektroman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:00 am

I believe the 900's are capable of time code providing i get the discs yes. Other than that i'm not entirely sure.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:47 pm

maybe check iout traktor and the X1.
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 pm

all of its features and... 2 turntables.

yep.

i think that about sums it up.

the real question is what can you bring to ableton live and your dj setup?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Sounds like you would like Serato with the Bridge that lets you launch Live clips within Serato while also DJing with encoded CDs in your CDJs. I don't know if The Bridge has been released yet because I'm not all that interested but it sounds like it would be perfect for what you would want to do.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:22 am

check out and google DJ enferno as one way to incorporate ableton and producing into your dj sets, although he uses vinyl but it's the same..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ28nICqiGk

Point Blank

Post by Point Blank » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi there,

Nice to see a strong support in this thread.
I'll try and throw in my 2 cents.

I'm surprised that no-one has thought about incoporating production into you DJ sets!
Ableton gives you the opportunity to do live electronic performances. So the possibility is there for you to dj and perform live production at the same time! Imagine creating live remixes of the tracks your playing.

As you fairly new to Ableton espeically Djing within it, i was wondering, have you ever thought about doing some sort of music production course?
At Point Blank we run an online course in DJing using Ableton which might be of interest to you. Have a look at: http://www.pointblankonline.net/ableton ... rse-dj.php

Im just giving you my view on the situation. I personally would go with Ableton as DJ if your looking to push the relms of DJ and Producer.

I wish you all the best in your Productions and DJing!!!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:37 pm

^
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.