Looking to start Djing with live.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kindelsesh

Looking to start Djing with live.

Post by kindelsesh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:28 pm

As the title reads i'm looking to begin djing with live, after using it for about a year or so for productions and whatnot i thought its time to see what it can offer to me as a dj, so far its been great but i'm feeling limited to what i can do with just my mouse and midi keyboard. So here's my question...i'm looking to purchase a beginner mixer to use in conjunction with live for a dj set/mix/whatever and have been eyeing up the Behringer djx750, i am also looking at getting an audio interface to record guitars etc in live (m-audio fast track pro) what i want to know is can i use the fast track pro as a dj interface into live and then use the djx750? So i'd have the first channel on the mixer mapped to the first channel of clips in live, 2nd channel to the second in live and so on?

I'm sure this is possible one way or another but just wanted to double check before i bought the mixer. I've checked online but there is nothing about using a djx750 with live, which is why i came here!

myxomat0515

Re: Looking to start Djing with live.

Post by myxomat0515 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:39 pm

You are only limited by the number of outs on the interface and the number of ins on the mixer, so double check the specs, but yes that is doable.

kindelsesh

Post by kindelsesh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Ok on the interface there are 4 outs and on the mixer there are 2 outs per channel, and 2 master outs, i presume i would have to connect each channel to the interface rather then just the master if i was to use them independently yes?

Sorry for all the question's, have never used a dj mixer before. :(

Thanks

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:48 am

well, you're on the right track. a basic example would be to run 2 audio tracks out of ableton (choose EXT in the i/o box) through separate outputs on your interface, and run each of those to the respective inputs on your mixer. this will allow you to play w/your mixer's eq's and x-fader as if you had 2 turntables or CDDJs. bear in mind that I don't used a dj mixer, I rely on my midi controllers and run the audio straight out of my interface.

there would be no reason to run audio from your mixer back into your interface, unless you are trying to record your set. basically, ableton will let you split up your tracks between all the outputs on your interface, and you can run those into your mixer however you choose, and mix from there.