Difference between Macbook Pro i5 and i7 with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Northern Contingent

Difference between Macbook Pro i5 and i7 with Live?

Post by The Northern Contingent » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:58 am

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade my current Macbook Pro to either a new i5 or i7 model. Could someone explain the difference between them to me? Would the difference be enough, in your opinion, to justify the difference in price?

I am thinking primarily of my use of Live with VST and AU plugins. One of the big processor hogs is FXpansion's Synth Squad, but the payoff is worth it for the quality of the synths. Do you think I would see a marked improvement between the i5 and i7 processors for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me.

timothyallan

Re: Difference between Macbook Pro i5 and i7 with Live?

Post by timothyallan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:52 am

One is faster and costs more accordingly. Depends what your priorities and current finances are. i.e. Get the faster one if you can afford it.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 pm

timothyallan wrote:One is faster and costs more accordingly. Depends what your priorities and current finances are. i.e. Get the faster one if you can afford it.
Hi - thanks for the reply. I didn't word the original question very well. What I am wondering is if those people who have had experience with both i5 and i7 models notice a marked improvement in speed when working with audio that justifies the price difference, or is it negligible? I use quite a few VSTs and effects, which is eating into my current processor quite heavily now. If there is very little difference between i5 and i7 processing power, I'll just stick with the cheaper.

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

the i7 is gonna be about 2 better

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

myxomat0515 wrote:the i7 is gonna be about 2 better
Ha! Yes - I think you're probably right.