Yet another audio interface query. Firewire!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Anubis

Yet another audio interface query. Firewire!

Post by Anubis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:06 am

I'm anxious to try a firewire interface because usb 1.1 just doesn't cut it. I'm looking for something portable and inexpensive. I don't need much I/O. I'm running a Vista (32bit) laptop and will be using an expresscard adapter that has both firewire 800(9 pin) and 400(6 pin) connectors. Here, it's this fugly thing:
The reason I'm doing it this way is because I've disabled my inbuilt firewire 400(4 pin) port because it's controlled by the much maligned Ricoh brand. And because that bus is also hosting the SD/xD/MS(etc.) card reader. My budget is $300. So which interface is the most stable, and has the best drivers for Vista 32bit? So far I like this one...
ImageImage
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

bigwayne56

Re: Yet another audio interface query. Firewire!

Post by bigwayne56 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:19 am

Hey,

Well since your on a Windows machine, I would probably steer you towards the presonus stuff. I have their Firebox interface which is now the Firestudio Mobile. Very good drivers from my experience. Their tech support is hit and miss but I bought mine from Sweetwater and have a very good relationship with my sales guy so any problems I go to him. AND NO I DON'T work for either company. I have heard good things about the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 as well and that's in your budget. The Edirol FA-101 and FA-66 are awesome as well. So there you have it. Four solid choices!

Good luck,

Wayne

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks for your reply Wayne. I was just browsing their web site and they're nice enough to post a link to hardware with known issues. They do appear to be compatible with Lucent/Agere chipsets but they claim incompatibility with 400/800 combo cards, but they don't specify whether that's PCI or expresscard. Bummer. What chipset are you running your Firebox with?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:59 am

Make sure your ricoh chipset does not control expresscard as well as firewire - many do and if this is the case, the expresscard adapter is not going to work and be a waste of cash.

If your expresscard bus is seperate from your firewire/sd card etc ricoh chip, get a SIIG adapter, they are the best TI firewire to expresscard solutions I've heard of and always recommended.
http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-EC2012-S1

Therefore, you might want to look at USB 2.0 interfaces. Most modern USB 2.0 interfaces compare well to firewire so long as you're not running lots of I/O (like more than 8 channels at once). The RME Fireface UC USB 2.0 has better latency than the FF400 firewire interface it is based on in most cases.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:10 am

leedsquietman wrote:Make sure your ricoh chipset does not control expresscard as well as firewire - many do and if this is the case, the expresscard adapter is not going to work and be a waste of cash.

If your expresscard bus is seperate from your firewire/sd card etc ricoh chip, get a SIIG adapter, they are the best TI firewire to expresscard solutions I've heard of and always recommended.
http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-EC2012-S1
Yes, the expresscard bus is separate and appears to have a TI controller at heart. Here's what Sandra reports with my Indigo IOx in the slot:

System Bus 5
Type : PCIe 1.00 x1 2.5Gbps
Multiplier : 3x
Bridge : TI PCI Express to PCI Bridge
Device Connected to Port : Echo Digital Audio 56361 Audio I/O Controller (MIDI)
miTunes