What are you using for saturation?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
UnCL0NED

Re: What are you using for saturation?

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:38 am

Ohmicide!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

subunit23

Post by subunit23 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:43 am

As mentionned before the waveshaping tool of Live's saturation is really nice so sculpt your effect. Playing with the enveloppe paramater can also add very good contour to your sound.
The overdrive plugin has a lot more for itself than it looks at first glance and can be a very nice alternative to the saturation plugin.
Recently I have re-discovered Live's vinyl effect which saturates the sound in a different way (make sure you turn down the 'crackle' knob). I recommend!
Finally, I also like using the erosion plugin before the saturation effect and automate the drive of the erosion so the texture of the saturation changes over time.
Just a few ideas but there are plenty of things to do to add interesting colours with Live's plugins only.

madlab

Post by madlab » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Ohmicide is the ultimate tool for this kind of stuff, ranging from very subtle to total harmonic destruction.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.12
MBP 2.3 ghz I7 16 Go SSD + HD 10.8.5 iPad2+Mira+Lemur/PadKontrol/BCR2000/ Livid Code+DS1
RME FF UC Live 9.7.7 MFL Max 8 + Max 7.3.5
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:21 pm

I use the saturator in Live for my guitar layer groups.

I might layer a guitar progression 5-6 times using different guitars and distortion setups in Guitar Rig 3.

Then I group all the tracks and put a saturator on the Group channel to glue them all together, add smoothness and punch.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

I always forget to use Saturator for that purpose, tend to go straight to the sonalksis comp nowadays for the group channel glue.

As I always fear though, Live's plugs are capable of a lot more than I've had a chance to play around with.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 pm

subunit23 wrote: Recently I have re-discovered Live's vinyl effect which saturates the sound in a different way (make sure you turn down the 'crackle' knob). I recommend!
True! Ableton's Vinyl distortion can really add that gritt to your sound, and you can apply it to a narrow band of frequ, really sweet, recommended indeed!
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Sonalksis compressor is awesome as a guitar group buss comp, especially on electric guitars.

Appreciate the learning points described above, good stuff fellas.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:53 pm

UKRuss wrote:As I always fear though, Live's plugs are capable of a lot more than I've had a chance to play around with.
what?
*** Image GAFM ***

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:42 am

More info to process.

Love you guys. 8)

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:14 am

For "live" purposes I use mainly all ableton built in efx. I tend to use 3rd party only for mixing down a song I have done. That being said, and this is my opinion only, there is nothing better than the PSP Audioware Vintage Warmer. Presence, Overdrive, Warmth, it's all there. I ALWAYS use the Vintage Warmer and BBE Sonic Maximizer on my master for "that" boost.

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:35 am

The waveshaping option in saturator is sick.
I like ohmcide. I know its not a true saturator but boy does it sound crispy :)

Cheers,
Bill
www.mrbillstunes.com

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 am

SubFunk wrote:
UKRuss wrote:As I always fear though, Live's plugs are capable of a lot more than I've had a chance to play around with.
what?
I just mean that I haven't explored all live's effects to their full potential, some I have, some like saturator and overdrive I haven't. Mainly because I use alternatives first. s'all.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:32 am

I have found Live's Saturator to be my GO TO distortion for dirty Konflict style bass for Dnb!!

I used to use D16 devastator which is very good. But LIves Saturator (once i worked out what to do with it) is simple and gets straight to the point , and you can sweep away and get bowel churning bass sounds for the music I do.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:47 am

anybody human wrote:Soundtoys Decapitator, absolutely luv it.
+1 8)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:53 am

UKRuss wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
what?
I just mean that I haven't explored all live's effects to their full potential, some I have, some like saturator and overdrive I haven't. Mainly because I use alternatives first. s'all.
ahhh
*** Image GAFM ***