Couple of questions about your use of reverb.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vass

Couple of questions about your use of reverb.

Post by Vass » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi,

I have searched a few threads about reverb which have touched on this subject but thought i would ask the specific question.

When you use reverb do you use the same reverb setting at 100% wet on one send for all your seperate instruments and vary the amount you send each track to?

Or do you like to have a seperate reverb setting for each track your using reverb on?

I'm asking this question specifically for reverb used to place instruments/ sounds as apposed to for an effect. Some people have mentioned using the same reverb on all tracks is best for this so it sounds like all instruments are in the same environment. Whats your prefernces?

Secondly, do you automate the reverb setting throughout the track to bring different instruments and sounds back and forth from the background to the foreground? I mainly produce electronic music and i imagine this method would be more relevant in that style?

Thanks for the help! Very much appreciated!

Superchibisan

Re: Couple of questions about your use of reverb.

Post by Superchibisan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:09 pm

i usually use 1 or 2 different reverbs per track. sending multiple instruments to the same verb is a good idea cause it puts them in the same "room". I will make different reverbs for different sounds if they sound terrible using my first reverb. I've had 5 verbs in the same track before, but that was early in music making, nowadays its 1 or 2 most of the time.

When on a send, use it at full wet for sure.

placing stuff forground and backround is more than just sending to a verb. you need to change delay times between your side signal and your mid, change verb send, and frequency content.

Vass

Re: Couple of questions about your use of reverb.

Post by Vass » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Superchibisan wrote:i usually use 1 or 2 different reverbs per track. sending multiple instruments to the same verb is a good idea cause it puts them in the same "room". I will make different reverbs for different sounds if they sound terrible using my first reverb. I've had 5 verbs in the same track before, but that was early in music making, nowadays its 1 or 2 most of the time.

When on a send, use it at full wet for sure.

placing stuff forground and backround is more than just sending to a verb. you need to change delay times between your side signal and your mid, change verb send, and frequency content.
Superchibisan, thanks for the reply. Im quite interested in learning more on placing instruments. Would you mind elaberating on this technique? It's not something im clued up on at the moment but would love to start experimenting with it!

What do you mean by "change delay times between your side signal and your mid, change verb send, and frequency content"

Thanks!