dj mix completely made with live 4 ->njoy :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vandeloow

dj mix completely made with live 4 ->njoy :)

Post by vandeloow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:04 pm

my new mix is made completely with ableton 4. all was live recorded, no postproduction in the mix! i love live really, its so intuitive to mix with it!!

all controls (mix and fx) remoted with a faderfox controller.

download and more infos:

http://www.vandeloow.net/typo31/index.php?id=113

.tracks inside:

bootleggers
pako & frederik: ogroup
unkle: back & forth
trafik_revolution
Infusion: dead souls
trafik: disco trafik
blue amazon: 5000 ft.
quest: the shepard
shiloh: i really want u (dub & vocal)
unkle: eye for eye
mental coach (lemon 8 remix)
monkey trousers (chab remix)
unkle: reign (way out west remix)

njoy! feedbacks very welcome :D

.m
Last edited by vandeloow on Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomperson

More

Post by tomperson » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:45 pm

Tell us more, it's interesting to learn from other experiences. A "few" questions:

Were you a DJ before using live? Are you a producer too?
How was the mix set up, all up from scratch or did you have an idea of what the set was going to be like?
Was it made in a club performance?
What effects did you use?
When and how?
Did you mix your own loops or VSTi tracks with the original songs?
What external hardware did you use?
What did you control from the control surface?
Did you use session or arrangement view?
Any tips/tricks used?

:wink: few questions as you can see!
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

maze23a

Re: dj mix completely made with live 4 ->njoy :)

Post by maze23a » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:58 pm

vandeloow wrote:my new mix is made completely with ableton 4. all was live recorded, no postproduction in the mix! i love live really, its so intuitive to mix with it!!

all controls (mix and fx) remoted with a faderfox controller.

download and more infos:

http://www.vandeloow.net/typo31/index.php?id=113

.tracks inside:

bootleggers
pako & frederik: ogroup
unkle: back & forth
trafik_revolution
Infusion: dead souls
trafik: disco trafik
blue amazon: 5000 ft.
quest: the shepard
shiloh: i really want u (dub & vocal)
unkle: eye for eye
mental coach (lemon 8 remix)
monkey trousers (chab remix)
unkle: reign (way out west remix)

njoy! feedbacks very welcome :D

.m
:D The first song seems to be a little bit slow than comes one where switch up the tempo a little bit fast but maybe wanted it like that.
Anything else really well done and there is one song where someone is
saying someting like"break down the shadows"
That#s the bomb!!!!

vandeloow

Re: More

Post by vandeloow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:36 pm

tomperson wrote:Tell us more, it's interesting to learn from other experiences. A "few" questions:

How was the mix set up, all up from scratch or did you have an idea of what the set was going to be like?
When and how?
Did you mix your own loops or VSTi tracks with the original songs?
Any tips/tricks used?

:wink: few questions as you can see!
hi tomperson!

i like to explain:

yes, i played over 14 with vinyl. first new experience in "digital djeeing" was the sofftware traktor dj studio from native-instruments. i own ableton live since version 2, but i never used it for djeeing. now, after intensive working with it (producing), i gave it also a try to mix with it. and i'm veryvery impressed about live's possibilities and the widewide open space to mix with it (resample, looping, fx, midi, controllers...) i also use logic since version 2. but making music with live is completely like playing an instrument, thats way i like it!!

no idea, i was just "playing" with the digitized vinyls.

no, it was homework, but next step is to play with it in the club. first step: integrated ore standalone in a dj set. second step: integrating selfmade loops, samples and tracks. third step: taking my studiofriend, integrating a live performance, maybe useing 2 laptops with live. final step: at least 2 liveliveptops, maybe a live vocal..and and and.

in this mix just 2 times a dj eq and a delay in the send channel. more fx comes in future. i like the possibility to extend the setup
:wink:

one faderfox dj1 and one faderfox lv1 and lx1. midisport 2*2 midisport usb

levels, sends, eq's (low mid, high), start, stop, tempo and also additional controls in a second fx track.

session view.

tips, tricks?

basically read once the tutorial "djeeing" from ableton.

hope it helps :idea:

(sorry for my bad swisscheese english :oops: )

vandeloow

Re: dj mix completely made with live 4 ->njoy :)

Post by vandeloow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:03 pm

maze23a wrote: :D The first song seems to be a little bit slow than comes one where switch up the tempo a little bit fast but maybe wanted it like that.
Anything else really well done and there is one song where someone is
saying someting like"break down the shadows"
That#s the bomb!!!!

thanxs for the feedback!! :D

.m

karlos

yooooo

Post by karlos » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:15 pm

so basicaly you just hooked ya decks straight in 2 live recorded your set and then went over it and polished things up,,,....

vandeloow

Re: yooooo

Post by vandeloow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:28 pm

karlos wrote:so basicaly you just hooked ya decks straight in 2 live recorded your set and then went over it and polished things up,,,....
no, the decks are "ableton tracks" the clips are the songs. nothing is mixed with turntables, all done in live with warped tracks. no polish, straight mixed and rec. and rendered.

karlos

Post by karlos » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:48 pm

holy shit,,,,,so ya pick ya tracks or clips,,,dropped them in live and then sorta arranged them all together in 1 mix but adding your own loops e.t.c,,,,,,sorry vandeloow this is all sorta new 2 me,,well i produce music and have been for some time but just heard about live and am sussing it out,,i allso have been dj-ing for some time and cant wait 2 get me mits on live 4,,,,,,,,,,does this mean a track say which is 110 bpm you can mix it on live straight over another track say which is 115 bpm and it timestreches e.t.c 4 ya ...cheers for ya help :D

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:40 pm

karlos wrote:does this mean a track say which is 110 bpm you can mix it on live straight over another track say which is 115 bpm and it timestreches e.t.c 4 ya ...cheers for ya help :D
yep, like this :wink:

tomperson

Thanks

Post by tomperson » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:10 pm

Hey Vandeloow, thanks for your reply.
So, you warp mark your tracks in advance (after selecting those you are interested in), start ableton, and then you go DJing "as you feel" with live...
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

mpc2323

Post by mpc2323 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:35 pm

yep so what he did is pick songs and drop em in audio one, fill it with tracks then fill audio 2 with more tracks.... now he mixes....... with his mouse...... click the clips LOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL

IF IT WAS ALL YOUR SONG THEN ITS COOL BUT IF ITS OTHER PEOPLES then dont bother calling it mixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mpc2323

Post by mpc2323 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:40 pm

that was a great choise of first song aswelll HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA ..........missy urging people to cop records and telling bootleggers to suck her dick!!!!!!

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:28 pm

mpc2323 wrote:yep so what he did is pick songs and drop em in audio one, fill it with tracks then fill audio 2 with more tracks.... now he mixes....... with his mouse...... click the clips LOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL

IF IT WAS ALL YOUR SONG THEN ITS COOL BUT IF ITS OTHER PEOPLES then dont bother calling it mixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL

read once the thread :lol:

A DJ

Post by A DJ » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:16 pm

mpc2323 wrote:yep so what he did is pick songs and drop em in audio one, fill it with tracks then fill audio 2 with more tracks.... now he mixes....... with his mouse...... click the clips LOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL

And u are?

drush

Post by drush » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:26 pm

mpc2323 wrote:IF IT WAS ALL YOUR SONG THEN ITS COOL BUT IF ITS OTHER PEOPLES then dont bother calling it mixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is all your logic this backward?