Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Piplodocus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 am

No, I don't feel like a thief. I'm quite happy. I'd rather have to ask than feel like a mug as loads of people are using dodgy copies whilst I pay!

I've installed it on my old PC a few times in the past, my current hackintosh twice, maybe 3 times, 3 crap laptops (which turned out to be too crap to be worthwhile), and my wife's macbook. Hopefully soon I'll be installing again on my own macbook when I have enough pennies saved.

Ableton were helpful, and reasonably quick each time. It's not like they asked lots of difficult questions or gave me a hard time. If I know in advance I'm gonna try to install something and I'm probably out of installs I can ask beforehand, and if for any reason I have to do a sudden surprise install due to hardware failure, then my sets will work (without saving) on a demo version on any laptop.

Can't say fairer than that!
Image
Mac OSX: 10.8.2, Live Suite: 9.0.2 (64-bit) Live user since:v5 (Above now has an APC40, 8GB RAM and a Diezel 212F Cab but currently too lazy to re-draw it all)

bytheriver
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:53 pm

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by bytheriver » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 am

It is a bit silly sometimes, I tend to use one up every 4-6 months for one reason or another. Last time I asked for one on a friday and didn't get it till the monday, which is fair enough if they're not working and they were nice and friendly about it (bit of banter about the england V germany game lol). Still it did mean I couldn't use software I paid for over a weekend, wasn't a massive issue to me but to others I'm sure it could be.

On the other hand, I know people who use the less-than-legal 8.1.3 suite, and I must admit on Saturday I was pretty tempted to just install that rather than waiting for my legit live7 auth.


I guess its the age-old problem where legit users don't mind copy protection if it works, but it never ever does and the more complex it is to make it work the more annoyed the legit user gets when they have to jump through hoops the crack-users don't have to worry about.

Compared to some though (roger papen I'm looking at you!) its a breeze.

Aldice
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 am

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by Aldice » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:56 pm

Firstly, hi to everyone, this is my first post here :D

Secondly, i dont own Live yet, just here looking around to help me make up my mind about which daw to get.

Thirdly, bet you didn't see that coming lol, i always image my system hard drive, then when anything goes wrong i just copy the image back. That way no apps,serials etc need to be reinstalled.
No idea though wether this works with the type of authorisation that live uses but it works for every other bit of software i have and the copy protection they use.

freshdrumma
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:33 pm
Location: italy
Contact:

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by freshdrumma » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:11 pm

it really bugs me that i have to kill a license every time i upgrade
but i usually stays with the first version i install, it mostly work flawless on my system everytime

KrisM
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by KrisM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:48 pm

You know, on a Mac if you were stuck using the demo version over the weekend while waiting for an authorization, you could just put the computer to sleep and then wake it up and continue with your project :lol: The demo's not timed.
Aldice wrote:Thirdly, bet you didn't see that coming lol, i always image my system hard drive, then when anything goes wrong i just copy the image back. That way no apps,serials etc need to be reinstalled.
No idea though wether this works with the type of authorisation that live uses but it works for every other bit of software i have and the copy protection they use.
It works. I upgraded the hard drive in my MacBook and had no issues with cloning it.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

pskept
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm
Location: here now

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by pskept » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:20 pm

wow... i've always thought they handled it well and it was a pretty simple process. never once had a hassle. the only time it slightly annoyed me was when i did this over a weekend and had to wait a day.

casiblake
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:32 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by casiblake » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 am

Khazul wrote:Reinstalls for whatever reason - Im tired of having to beg, doesnt matter how many times a year - I dont have enough auths for a system reinstall.
Any sane, sensible tech-savvy PC user would, in cases such as this, keep backup images of their OS partition.

I'm not fond of activation either, but there is NO suitable alternative to Live - for me - so I put up with it. Good thing then that Ableton have been very good with issuing further unlocks. (Thanks guys.)
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

COSM
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by COSM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 am

+1 for always getting my auth count reset very soon after requesting everytime
Image

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:04 pm

anyone else here think that the OP actually has Live installed on more computers than the license allows? my guess is that he may have bought two instances of Suite but has it installed on about 7 or 8 computers including those of his friends. there is no way that you would NEED to reinstall even twice in a year.
Khazul wrote:Reinstalls for whatever reason - Im tired of having to beg, doesnt matter how many times a year - I dont have enough auths for a system reinstall.
reinstalls for whatever reason??? i call BULLSHIT!!! having to beg??? more BULLSHIT!!!

the only reason to do a clean install now-a-days is to waste time during a creative slump. or if your demo installs of photoshop and illustrator ran out of time and your a cheap bastard that won't pay for the software you use.

Bagle
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by Bagle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:14 pm

love how OP has failed to respond to the last few posts, think he has realised he is a gowl
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:43 pm

^ 3 pages is a lot of 'you're wrong'... with the exception of the would be pirate a couple of posts back he got 0 (zero) support, a little understanding and his ass reamed.

well done boys!






P.S. weekend unlocks suck, however, dongles suck more.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Bagle
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by Bagle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:58 pm

im proud tho i must admit, retards on the internet never listen to reason, so 3 pages might not be enough
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

dazzer
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:24 am

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by dazzer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:03 pm

bytheriver wrote:
roger papen
Who he?

Bagle
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by Bagle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:17 pm

dazzer wrote:
bytheriver wrote:
roger papen
Who he?
rob papen maybe?
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: Anyone else getting p*ssed off having to beg for auths?

Post by dum » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Bagle wrote:abletons unlocking is so much easier then alot of companies and is the fucking business over iloks or other dongles which are a complete pain in the ass, specially if mobile recording on a laptop and limited to maybe 2 or 3 usb slots..
have you actually used dongles or are you just repeating shit you've heard from others ?

I've just spent the best part of two days doing a 'clean install' on a new OS + replaced hard drive.
Conclusion: in this circumstance dongles are the most convenient form of copy protection.

I can understand they're not ideal for every situation and losing an iLok is a painintheass, but for guys like the OP it is clearly iLoks/Dongles that are ideal, not challenge/response and subsequently reaching a point where you find yourself requesting more unlocks.



btw khazul, 'begging' is taking the piss. I had to make a few requests, wait 12 - 24 hours etc, but at no point did I have to nag let alone beg. Even with guys like audioease who I was lead to believe are authorisation nazis.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Post Reply