whats wrong with VST MIDI FX?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arzuaga

whats wrong with VST MIDI FX?

Post by arzuaga » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:37 am

Hi! I downloaded some free VST MIDI Effects (http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=602965), but I couldnt use them correctly on Live. When I insert them, they appears as Instruments or Audio Effects but not as MIDI effects... what am I doing wrong?

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:20 am

They aren't as yet supported in Live 4.0 I'm afraid.
You aren't doing anything wrong they just wont work.
Same for any VST with built in midi out routing.
Perhaps in a future update - we can hope :D .
There's ALOT of great Midi processing VST's / MFX plugins of this nature floating about.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:56 pm

Check out Energy XT http://www.xt-hq.com/.

It is a plugin and also a host. So you can plug Energy XT into Live as a virtual instrument and then use it to host all kinds of fiendishly complicated plugin routings. just the thing for applying different effects to different outputs on multi output VST instruments and it supports midi effects as well.

Noel

arzuaga

Post by arzuaga » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:57 pm

Can EnergyXY output MIDI or I must insert my Virtual Instrument into it?

nolus

Post by nolus » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:14 pm

I am sure it can output midi but I've not figured it out properly yet.

You can put your midi effect and your vst instrument plus any vst effects into Energy XT and send a final mix output to your Live track. It also includes all sorts of built in midi fx for creating keyboard splits and layers, etc. If you can get into it's way of working (which I can't) you can pretty much do all your sequencing and everything with it. But setting up basic routings of vst instruments and fx is fairlly easy and it lets you do things that you can't do with Live alone.

Also I discovered today that it lets you use instruments like VB1 that won't normally work properly in Live