Multiband dynamics tutorial

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hungry_Man

Multiband dynamics tutorial

Post by Hungry_Man » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm trying to find a good tutorial on Multiband Dynamics for mastering purposes

I'm having a fiddle with it but unable to get anything I really like the sound of.

I would like to use downward and upward compression to tighten the mixes of my dance tracks, and maybe do some experiments with beats and effects occupying different dynamic ranges in different areas of the stereo field

it strikes me this effect is extremely powerful but I need some help to get the most of it. step by step with pictures ideally. Ive read the section in the manual a few times and the descriptions of large bars and small bars are insufficient for me to understand what is going on (my poor, puny, aging brain), and what I need to do to get what effect.

I couldnt find anything useful on youtube or on the ableton site

obeyendevor

Re: Multiband dynamics tutorial

Post by obeyendevor » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi,
These two links are pretty lengthy and are written like a beginners tutorial, but they have some AMAZING information if you read through.

http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/Titles/Mixingfull.htm
http://blog.tunecore.com/2009/10/the-ke ... field.html
iBook G4 1.5GB RAM, Live 8 APC Edition, Reason 4.0, APC-40, UC-33, Trigger Finger
www.e1beats.com

Hungry_Man

Re: Multiband dynamics tutorial

Post by Hungry_Man » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:34 pm

thanks...all stuff i've seen before tho. My mixes are generally OK, I started working as a sound engineer aged 14 so am pretty technically proficient. Multiband dynamics however is something I've always struggled with and would appreciate settings / presets that people have used for mastering.

I'm surprised ableton have not created a tutorial for such a potentially complex and powerful dynamics unit.

A producer friend said he finds the unit much more useful for expansion than compression, and that he's never been able to achieve a good compression result with it.