Copyright?? Sampling From Speeches/Spoken word

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Re: Copyright?? Sampling From Speeches/Spoken word

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:13 am

chris vine wrote:http://www.soundboard.com/sb/martin.aspx

check this out then, just stick yr desired name followed by soundboard into google,

huge list of clips for the sample freak
Thanks! :D

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Don't sample The Brain That Wouldn't Die - a mad scientist will send a mindless undead behemoth to your house to kill you with a gun! Fact!

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Although I'm thinking that the M.L. King estate lawyers would be much scarier . . .

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 pm

mojofunk wrote:Don't sample The Brain That Wouldn't Die - a mad scientist will send a mindless undead behemoth to your house to kill you with a gun! Fact!
That movie is the epitome of sleaze!

SampleSwap

Post by SampleSwap » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Wow I had no idea the "I have a dream" recording was under copyright control, since I found it on Archive.org as a "public domain" recording. (Then again, there's all kinds of totally commercial stuff e.g. Billie Holiday recordings listed as 'public domain' on archive.org.)

However, it does seem like there was a dispute about the MLK estate's right to ask for royalties on this particular recording. In any case, to be safe I've added a note re: the MLK speech on my own site's list of public domain speech/spoken word recordings, here:

http://sampleswap.org/filebrowser-new.p ... EN+WORD%2F

I found a lot of good (and verifiably) public domain speech on LibriVOX. The 'read me' file in the link above has links to LibriVOX and a number of other public domain music and spoken word sites.

There's also a very interesting article re: why there are so few public domain music recordings available at http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/publi ... dings.html

- Canton

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:33 pm

*bookmark*

stallos

Post by stallos » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 pm

if you sell the track on beatport they take half your money, so would MLK estate get 33% of your 50% or 33& of the sales?

what about the option of doing an impersonsation ie saying the same words but using an actor to do the voice

futuremoves

Post by futuremoves » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 am

leggzter wrote:I recently pulled a section of the 'I have a dream' speech from a forthcoming release. We used a 7 second sample, that was reduced to 2 seconds in the radio edit.
This was the reply we got from Mr kings estate.
"Your request for inclusion of the MLK audio sample to be included in the musical composition "What's It All About" to be released by the musical group STR8JACKETS would be approved subject to the following terms:

Master Use / Sample Fee - $1,000 USD fee as advance against royalty of $.015 per unit for all sales physical or dpd. Master Use License to be issued and administered by IPM o/b/o The Estate of Martin Luther King, Jr.

33.33% copyright share in the musical composition "What's It All About", listing Martin Luther King. Jr. as a co-writer of the composition with all mechanical and synchronization licenses to be issued and administered by EMI Music Publishing at full statutory rate.

Please advise if these terms are acceptable and we will prepare and forward the Master Use License and inform EMI Music Publishing accordingly.

By the way, excellent song.

With kind regards,"
It would be cool though to say "yeah, Martin Luther King is a co-writer on my record"

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 pm

^ for 33% of royalties on a record you never actually make any money off... you can afford it! :wink:

:arrow:
*opens new set to write song with Dr. King*

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 pm

mojofunk wrote:Don't sample The Brain That Wouldn't Die - a mad scientist will send a mindless undead behemoth to your house to kill you with a gun! Fact!
Damn? I own that movie and it's ripe for good samples! Saw it as a kid and it scared me for life! :lol:
Took a while to find a copy without the Mystery Science Theatre 2000 comments on it.