Dj mixer with xlr

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmreal04

Dj mixer with xlr

Post by cmreal04 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Looking for a cost affordable dj mixer that has a xlr mic connection, Suggestions ?
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

hacktheplanet

Re: Dj mixer with xlr

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 am

How about a used Pioneer DJM 600?

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 am

looks like a really good option, any others to consider around that price point ?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:41 pm

ecler.

pioneers are NEVER a good option
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Pioneer DJM 600. Great layout and fun mixer. The others are nice but when playing out you will find a DJM format in most places.

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 pm

SubFunk wrote:pioneers are NEVER a good option
What’s your reasoning for this statement?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Bizon wrote:
the extremely awful sound and the worst EQs on a dj mixer ever.

i do admit that they are very nice designed and very solid built, but that is all they have to offer.

most people will argue i am wrong, but play once on a rodec or formula sound... (the argument that they are popular..., well Mc D is also popular, doesn't mean it's any good)

or even better take a real good PA hook up a djm (any, even the 800) play some of your fave tunes and then hook up a rodec or formula sound, the difference in sound is like day and night, and you have EQs that melt like butter opposite to rough switches.

if you not ever experienced the sound difference of a rodec mixer you simply don't know how bad pioneers are.

and rodecs are built like a russian tank, they are ugly tho... looking like some 1950s russian tech.
*** Image GAFM ***

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:04 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Bizon wrote:
the extremely awful sound and the worst EQs on a dj mixer ever.

i do admit that they are very nice designed and very solid built, but that is all they have to offer.

most people will argue i am wrong, but play once on a rodec or formula sound... (the argument that they are popular..., well Mc D is also popular, doesn't mean it's any good)

or even better take a real good PA hook up a djm (any, even the 800) play some of your fave tunes and then hook up a rodec or formula sound, the difference in sound is like day and night, and you have EQs that melt like butter opposite to rough switches.

if you not ever experienced the sound difference of a rodec mixer you simply don't know how bad pioneers are.

and rodecs are built like a russian tank, they are ugly tho... looking like some 1950s russian tech.
I guess from a studio perspective you are probably right as I have not heard the mixers you mentioned.

However, when it comes to DJ'ing in clubs or anywhere, I doubt that the gains you speak of in quality would be audible in those systems.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:23 pm

Bizon wrote:However, when it comes to DJ'ing in clubs or anywhere, I doubt that the gains you speak of in quality would be audible in those systems.
totally wrong!!! totally totally totally wrong!!!

the difference is gigantic, really gigantic, put a rodec in front of ANY PA and you will have a quality increase of 30%-40% in sound immediately.

rodecs used to be in every decent club in the world, the reason they slowly disappeared was that many other companies, especially pioneer with the djm 500 and 600 and then A&H followed moved more towards a modern DJ oriented design (layout), but with by far mediocre quality (even A&H in comparison, is much, much weaker)

rodec is a tiny, tiny belgium company that admittedly fell asleep during that 'design trend' but they did catch up and have many overhauled 'modern design' models out now, like the MX-2200, but they can't push millions into advertising like mass product giants a la pioneer or A&H, so people and foremost the young generation that is not used to seeing a rodec as a standard anywhere they played (as it was!!! the legendary 180 ruled the clubs, but serious clubs like the fuse in belgium or flex in vienna still can provide them, well those clubs are renowned for one of the best club soundsystems in the world) doesn't realise the progression, as i said because they don't have any money for advertising...

sad really, then again that is also where the quality comes from... they spend all the money on the product...

a rodec to a PA is like a top pre amp for a good mic.

p.s. even their website is a nightmare a la 1980... not that kind of website that screams quality at you to attract new customers, unless you know what is behind.
*** Image GAFM ***

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Rodec is great but not really affordable as the OP asked. (:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Hervé wrote:Rodec is great but not really affordable as the OP asked. (:
i know, this was the answer to the question why i think pioneer is poop.

i suggested ecler, great sound, fantastic EQs and very affordable.

even the tiny nuo2 is fantastic sounding and has a great layout, too. http://www.eclerdjdivision.com/productC ... d=34&lang=

oops, i just saw they changed the mic to jack... used to be XLR, as far as i recall... or was it from the nuo3 (formerly smac30) onwards?

yeah the nuo3 has XLR mic...
*** Image GAFM ***

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:29 pm

I know this is starting to push the envelope, but is there any that also have phantom power on board.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:25 am

SubFunk wrote:
totally wrong!!! totally totally totally wrong!!!

the difference is gigantic, really gigantic, put a rodec in front of ANY PA and you will have a quality increase of 30%-40% in sound immediately.

rodecs used to be in every decent club in the world, the reason they slowly disappeared was that many other companies, especially pioneer with the djm 500 and 600 and then A&H followed moved more towards a modern DJ oriented design (layout), but with by far mediocre quality (even A&H in comparison, is much, much weaker)

rodec is a tiny, tiny belgium company that admittedly fell asleep during that 'design trend' but they did catch up and have many overhauled 'modern design' models out now, like the MX-2200, but they can't push millions into advertising like mass product giants a la pioneer or A&H, so people and foremost the young generation that is not used to seeing a rodec as a standard anywhere they played (as it was!!! the legendary 180 ruled the clubs, but serious clubs like the fuse in belgium or flex in vienna still can provide them, well those clubs are renowned for one of the best club soundsystems in the world) doesn't realise the progression, as i said because they don't have any money for advertising...

sad really, then again that is also where the quality comes from... they spend all the money on the product...

a rodec to a PA is like a top pre amp for a good mic.

p.s. even their website is a nightmare a la 1980... not that kind of website that screams quality at you to attract new customers, unless you know what is behind.
ugggg another beat matching house DJ claiming sound quality is king. rodecs issue has always been they feel like shit because of poor placement of controls poor choice of external fader and knob materials. They were designed for disco and not turntableisim, too bad disco is dead.