Trouble assigning pads with padKontrol in Ableton 8 suite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dead_money

Trouble assigning pads with padKontrol in Ableton 8 suite

Post by dead_money » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:27 pm

I know this is probably a very basic question to answer and has probably been asked a million times but here is my problem:

I am using a Korg padKontrol (the white one) midi controller, and whenever I try to assign pads in midi map mode I get very little to no response. I can assign knob 2 to some of the volume sliders, but for some reason knob 1 doesn't work for the same functions. And when I try to assign a pad to do anything I get no response at all. As far as I can see I have all of my settings correct -- I can play samples in piano roll with the sampler just fine using the pads, and can play drum samples in drum rack if I change the value of the pad to the correct note. But what I really want to do is to be able to play and stop audio clips, kind of like what you can do with a Novation Launchpad. Am I in the wrong setting or do I need to configure something else? I should also mention that I updated the drivers and am using Mac OS X 10.6.

Also: I have an older (3rd generation) M-Audio O2 midi controller keyboard that I am also getting little response with when it comes to assigning knobs in midi map mode. I can play the keys just fine with it and the pitch bender works as well, but my knobs don't work at all, either by default or in midi map mode. (For both controllers, when in midi map mode, I can see that Live registers me twisting a knob or hitting a pad, but it doesn't function for any of the items that I want to assign them to.) The O2 only has 5 presets and I've tried them all, with no results. Is it just too old to be fully functional for the latest version of Live?

Thanks a lot everyone.

oddstep

Re: Trouble assigning pads with padKontrol in Ableton 8 suite

Post by oddstep » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:05 pm

I have a similar set up (devices and 8) without any problems. If you have remote switched on for both devices in midi preferences, I would assume that there is something filtering cc data. Strange. Launching clips can be achieved through manually mapping midi notes to clips or through the use of a python script. I am writing one at the moment, I am happy to share (it works) but it isn't finished.

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:18 pm

If you have remote switched on for both devices in midi preferences
Yea, check this in the midi section of Live's preferences. I seem to remember having this issue with my UC-33e when I had only 'track' turned on.

dead_money

Post by dead_money » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:35 am

Ok there we go. Thanks.

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 am

With regards to knob 1 not working - it's worth noting that the knobs can be set differently for each scene, using the Korg editor program.

If i remember correctly, in some of the default scenes, knob 1 is set to 'off'.

Just thought I would mention it as it caused me some head-scratching when I was getting started with the PK.

rr
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM
http://soundcloud.com/scatterbattery