In Session view :Looping a clip, then follow action problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sebastienleger

In Session view :Looping a clip, then follow action problems

Post by sebastienleger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi all !

I'll try to be very simple.
We are in Session view

Lets say i have 2 clips, called CLIP A & CLIP B.

Both loops are 16 bars long.

CLIP B will start playing at the exact end of CLIP A, due to the follow action "NEXT" - for now no problem.

My problem is the following, lets say i wanna loop on the fly a part of CLIP A, this is possible with Position Set & Position Lenght. (like on a CDJ in/out)

The thing is, the CLIP B will start playing anyway after the 16 bars (lenght of CLIP A)

So how can i loop on the fly CLIP A, let this loop go on forever if i want to, and once i unloop it, THEN then CLIP B will finally play at the end of CLIP A ?

I've been searching for hour, without any success, so any help is greatly appreciate.

I uploaded just a simple exemple, done one Ableton Live 8.1.3. On your computer keyboard use KEY V and B to set the IN & OUT of the loop, KEY N is unloop.
You'll see that CLIP B will play automaticly after 16 bars, even if CLIP A was looped.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/955rue or mirror link http://www.yousendit.com/download/K0JRN ... QTJ4dnc9PQ

Thank you :)

loop is taken from The Glitz - Phasing (Daniel Steinberg remix) , in case you ask for it ;)

Dexes

Re: In Session view :Looping a clip, then follow action problems

Post by Dexes » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 pm

That's been one of the things that keep popping up in the feature request forum and currently isn't possible in that way.

What you could do is paste the clips next to each other in arrangement view and consolidate them (select both an hit ctrl/apple+J) and you'll have them as 1 clip and then loop away in the 1st half (was Clip A), turn off "loop" and it'll play the second half (was clip B).

sebastienleger

Post by sebastienleger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:38 pm

I can't believe such a simple feature doesnt exist in Ableton Live !

What i just ask for is simply loop on the fly CLIP A, leave it for a whiiiiile, unloop it, then when it reach the end of CLIP A, CLIP B starts playing !

This must exist no ? :oops:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:57 am

Feel free to add your name to the feature request to add 'Follow Actions when clip ends' here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ow+actions

Thanks!

Plus there are also some good suggestions for expanding the concept throughout the post.

evon

Post by evon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Why not create a new scene with just a copy of CLIP Ain it and let this loop continuously. Keep the original scene with the follow action in it. Then you can change the scenes on the fly.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:23 pm

sebastienleger wrote:I can't believe such a simple feature doesnt exist in Ableton Live !

What i just ask for is simply loop on the fly CLIP A, leave it for a whiiiiile, unloop it, then when it reach the end of CLIP A, CLIP B starts playing !

This must exist no ? :oops:
Trust me I can't think of one thing that Live cannot do. Just give it a little thought. There is no DAW that can give you everything "ready made". And I know for sure that there is no other DAW can do what Live can do.
fe real!

sebastienleger

Post by sebastienleger » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:22 pm

evon wrote:Why not create a new scene with just a copy of CLIP Ain it and let this loop continuously. Keep the original scene with the follow action in it. Then you can change the scenes on the fly.
sure there is always some kind of alternative, but what we try to do here, loop anything, anytime, not something already prepared, like , ok i know that at 3 minutes i will have the loop of that break coming, then i can just swith to the next clip manually.

the main thing is looping on the fly a moment that really work, for exemple the end of a break, let it looped, trigger with fx/filter or whatever, then when you are tired of it, unloop it, the track go back to its normal routine, AND at the end of the track, then the follow action "play next" come.

I think freestyle on the fly is much more spontaneous than already planned loops and trick - and we miss that one a lot in Live :)

evon

Post by evon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Oh..I see then. Then that should be basic to Live :cry: Ah mean "live" the king of live should be able to do anything on the fly.
Guess you all have to lobby some more, because I love to brag about Live, and this is not good.

I read the link to the request for the feature, and I agree that this should be easy to fix. Guess we will get it in 9.
fe real!