Is Live the most buggy DAW?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Re: Is Live the most buggy DAW?

Post by Khazul » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:34 am

Machinesworking wrote:Do you run OSX on that machine too? I'm on Leopard, not Snow Leopard BTW. I think the big thing is Automap and Logitech not getting along, but I have MOTU, RME, Korg, and Native Instruments MIDI drivers running as well as Automap. The mouse works just fine with only minor bugs with USB Overdrive, and no conflicts with my MIDI set up, so I'm sticking with that for now.
No mac os here - dual boot xp and win7/64 - though have been reading up on the possibility of doing a hackintosh install of snow leopard on here. Trouble is the end results never seem to be quite as good as on offical mac hardware so not sure if its worth bothering buying snow leopard etc.

Its a shame they wont do an offically supported PC build of thier OS - I know it would upset their hardware sales, but have to wonder if the increases OS sales would make up for that?
Nothing to see here - move along!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Khazul wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Do you run OSX on that machine too? I'm on Leopard, not Snow Leopard BTW. I think the big thing is Automap and Logitech not getting along, but I have MOTU, RME, Korg, and Native Instruments MIDI drivers running as well as Automap. The mouse works just fine with only minor bugs with USB Overdrive, and no conflicts with my MIDI set up, so I'm sticking with that for now.
No mac os here - dual boot xp and win7/64 - though have been reading up on the possibility of doing a hackintosh install of snow leopard on here. Trouble is the end results never seem to be quite as good as on offical mac hardware so not sure if its worth bothering buying snow leopard etc.

Its a shame they wont do an offically supported PC build of thier OS - I know it would upset their hardware sales, but have to wonder if the increases OS sales would make up for that?
Yeah, but what about the stability? Now instead of working w/ very specific HW setups it now has to have a one size fits all approach. That could hurt their 'it just works' campaign considerably if it isn't rock solid on every piece of HW out there.

Do you remember when vista came out and all those people started upgrading w/ the minimum reqs and how much flack it got? Just think what would happen if everyone who had the min started upgrading to the new Mac OS. Yeah, they could make some extra revenue, but they would also lose quite a bit of credibility when it comes to their marketing, something we all know they care very much about ($$$).
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Klauser

Post by Klauser » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Still using live 6 here and love it. I think it's one of the most stable platforms I've used. Only run into problems when I really push it on my laptop, but I think that the laptop claps out and not really live

So I don't have any experience of using live 7+, but if they can make live 6 as stable as it is, then they can do it with later releases.

Also noticed a lot of bad comments like this and Villalobos which can't be doing ableton any good. The music is the most important thing. We can work around bugs and stuff, just trust ableton. They'll get there.

Fluxos

Post by Fluxos » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:56 am

Do not know if it's the most buggy DAW, but it's certainly massively buggy, especially since the introduction of Live 10, and much more buggy than Logic.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:47 am

Try a PC, it will not be buggy at all LOL :mrgreen:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:31 pm

flowdesigner wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:46 pm
Is Live the worst DAW in terms of stability, and Record the most stable?
Or is Cubase and Logic users also strugling with the same amount of bugs.

Just curious
Wow. This is old.

I wouldn't say Live is the most buggy.

I recently tried Cakewalk and it gave me a BSOD.

Live does use alot of resources though so it might be the most resource hungry, but I think some of those extra resource cycles is to increase stability in live situations.

That said pretty much all modern DAWS are alot more stable than what we had 20 years ago Mac or PC.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 pm

Rock solid here. Some projects crashing on opening recently on Windows 7 64bit. Deactivating VST3 plugins solved the problem, so this was not an Ableton Live issue.

It is tricky to judge such a DAW against others because the system, hardware and plugins used are not the same among the people who will answer such a post.

tintala

Post by tintala » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Live 10 for me MOST CERTAINLY IS! I upgraded from w7 to w 10 from Live 9 > 10 and now my system is shit.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:09 pm

miyaru wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:47 am
Try a PC, it will not be buggy at all LOL :mrgreen:
After the first few updates which did have a few problems once I reduced Live’s frame rate because by default it causes a huge load on the MAc’s video sub-system I’ve had no problem with Live 10’s behaviour at all using Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave. The only reason I’ve not yet installed Catalina is I really need to do a reinstall from scratch to get rid of old 32 bit software cleanly and I haven’t had time, and I also need to spend some money with Waves to update their plugins.

But currently Live 10 is stable for me. Certainly more stable than versions I used years ago on PC, though looking back I suspect a very buggy M-Audio MIDI driver might have been responsible for the problems.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.