Is Live the most buggy DAW?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flowdesigner

Is Live the most buggy DAW?

Post by flowdesigner » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Is Live the worst DAW in terms of stability, and Record the most stable?
Or is Cubase and Logic users also strugling with the same amount of bugs.

Just curious

crofter

Re: Is Live the most buggy DAW?

Post by crofter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:05 pm

I use both Live and Cubase, both are very stable and I've yet to come across any major bugs in either.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

remute99

Post by remute99 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:16 pm

flowdesigner wrote:Is Live the worst DAW in terms of stability, and Record the most stable?
Or is Cubase and Logic users also strugling with the same amount of bugs.

Just curious
Out of the bunch I've used (Cubase 5, PT8, Logic8) only Energy XT2 is more prone to just crash out of the blue.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

Post by 4.33 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Reaper FTW

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Funny - one the main reasons I switched from Cubase SX3 to Live 6 was due to the stability of Live 6 at the time and the huge number of issues I had with SX3.

I have to say that most of this year I was seriously thinking of saying sod it and dumnping the PC and Live and getting a Mac and Logic, but then the guy I work with uses a Mac and Live and I am seeing far worse issues on his Mac than I see on my PC, and thats before Live gets added to the problem.

Live (version 7) does however seem to be alot more stable on his mac-book with and RME FF400 than anything I have experienced with Live 8 amnd any PC OS and with a variety of audio interfaces controllers etc.

I think drivers generally seem more relaible on the mac (unless using Yamaha stuff) and I guess that seems to be a large part of a reliable production system. Sensitive drivers + sensitive application on a sensitive OS = boom! Be great if something in that equation became alot more robust.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Khazul wrote:Funny - one the main reasons I switched from Cubase SX3 to Live 6 was due to the stability of Live 6 at the time and the huge number of issues I had with SX3.
Same here, Logic 7.0 was a dog on my system.
I have to say that most of this year I was seriously thinking of saying sod it and dumnping the PC and Live and getting a Mac and Logic, but then the guy I work with uses a Mac and Live and I am seeing far worse issues on his Mac than I see on my PC, and thats before Live gets added to the problem.
Hate to say end user, but at this point OSX is pretty much out of the way, even more so IMO than Windows 7 etc.
Live (version 7) does however seem to be alot more stable on his mac-book with and RME FF400 than anything I have experienced with Live 8 amnd any PC OS and with a variety of audio interfaces controllers etc.
So wait, Live is more stable? then what's the issue? Safari crashing on a web site you like? I'm confused, if Macs are less stable then why is a complicated set up like a DAW more stable? See end user comment above. :)
I think drivers generally seem more relaible on the mac (unless using Yamaha stuff) and I guess that seems to be a large part of a reliable production system. Sensitive drivers + sensitive application on a sensitive OS = boom! Be great if something in that equation became alot more robust
Generic things I think are true in a DAW set up for the competing platforms:

Audio Drivers are more stable on Mac.

USB MIDI is slightly better/more stable on Mac.

Plug ins are more stable on PC. 99% of plug ins start off as PC VSTs and get ported to AU and Mac VST, so in my experience plug ins that are .0 releases tend to be more stable on PC.

PCs tend to be easier to resolve OS level conflicts on. Say Microsoft screw up disc handling in laptops for battery life, it's slightly easier to get a solution, maybe even just copy pasting some code. Solutions on Mac can be akin to voodoo, with mixed results, though mostly someone write a simple solution and tosses it out for free or near free. I think Windows is slightly more tweakable this way in general.

There's slightly better of a chance of having a complex set up and no driver conflicts on OSX. Though I have had to dump the Logitech VX Revolution mouse driver on my set up as it conflicts with pretty much every MIDI device connected and causes instability throughout my audio system. Recognize that I run Kore 1 hardware, Rig kontrol 2 hardware, Pad Kontrol, Remote SL with Automap, MOTU MTP/AV, three USB hard drives, RME Fireface 800, FW800 external hard drive all on a laptop.
Also Logitech dropped the ball big time, last mouse I had of theirs worked flawlessly, their driver sucks, even after at least three updates... bleh!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:36 pm

If Live 8 would stop crashing the first time I open it (while template set is loading) causing me to have to reboot (the computer I just turned on) and then working fine afterward every single time :? :? :? ... it would be all good for me again.

I've been digging up old stuff in Cubase SX3 and reworking it though, partly out of frustration and partly because I like the tracks, but I have to say... it loads rip shit fast on my system and... I really really like that.

FL Studio is the most stable program I think I've ever seen. period. I have no idea what happens when it crashes. when I need drums STAT and don't want to risk dumb shit errors and reboots... well, to quote another forum regular's over used quote, "it just works"
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Rock solid here (knocks on wood). Not a single crash since I got my new PC last Sept, except for one time when I tried loading a 40 soft synth project w/out my interface plugged in. Didn't actually crash, but it took half an hour to get my interface up and running again w/ live speeding along.

I don't use any other DAWs because I can do everything I need in Live.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:19 pm

The title of this thread is very much retarded.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Live has always been stable for me for all versions to current. It only crashes sometimes when I use ext plugs running on PC.
Terrence Lennon

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 pm

The later revisions of Cubase SX3, esp. 3.1.1.944 is rock solid stable (on PC at least). C5 has been very stable too.

Live 6 was also stable, after demoing 5 this was my first foray into Live. Live 7 from about mid way in was very stable, but early versions were buggy. Live 8 - overall seems less stable for a bigger minority, hence the 'quality' statement, but I couldn't comment as I didn't upgrade from 7.

8 was always going to be a bigger challenge with all the side projects such as max4Live and Serato and Share etc on top of new features.

BTW - Renoise or Reason for the win if you want super stability !! (Reaper comes next but to be fair can do more).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:07 am

the others had periods with bugs too.. but regarding the total amount of bugs per year L8 holds the world record now
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Machinesworking wrote:There's slightly better of a chance of having a complex set up and no driver conflicts on OSX. Though I have had to dump the Logitech VX Revolution mouse driver on my set up as it conflicts with pretty much every MIDI device connected and causes instability throughout my audio system.
Have logitech keyboard and mouse drivers on here including all the keyboard display drivers running - they seem to have no negative impact at all for me - not even affecting dpc latency in any measurable way on eother OS that I use. Odd how we can end up with such different results with similar hardware.

Perhaps install order has alot to do with it, or the complet lottery of windows and/or bios interrupt assignments perhaps?
Nothing to see here - move along!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Khazul wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:There's slightly better of a chance of having a complex set up and no driver conflicts on OSX. Though I have had to dump the Logitech VX Revolution mouse driver on my set up as it conflicts with pretty much every MIDI device connected and causes instability throughout my audio system.
Have logitech keyboard and mouse drivers on here including all the keyboard display drivers running - they seem to have no negative impact at all for me - not even affecting dpc latency in any measurable way on eother OS that I use. Odd how we can end up with such different results with similar hardware.

Perhaps install order has alot to do with it, or the complet lottery of windows and/or bios interrupt assignments perhaps?
Sounds like none of that, and just better drivers for XP/Windows 7, which you must be on if you're mentioning bios interrupt assignments.
Do you run OSX on that machine too? I'm on Leopard, not Snow Leopard BTW. I think the big thing is Automap and Logitech not getting along, but I have MOTU, RME, Korg, and Native Instruments MIDI drivers running as well as Automap. The mouse works just fine with only minor bugs with USB Overdrive, and no conflicts with my MIDI set up, so I'm sticking with that for now.

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:16 am

my live 7 is solid. sometimes crashes happen when scoring hd video because of insufficient ram.

a friend got live 8 a couple of months after its release and i was working on a track with him. sometimes, for no reason, audio clips would cut out in the middle and they wouldn't be heard anymore. no 3rd party plugs were used.