OT: USB Cable Length & Audio Quality...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sc

OT: USB Cable Length & Audio Quality...

Post by sc » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:51 pm

will and extra long usb cable have any effect on sound quality?
if so at what length does it start to be come a factor?

i'm sure there may be many contributing factors, but i'm in the process of rearranging the 'studio' to make room for a new desk and i'm worried about the length of the usb cable i'll be able to use with Final Scratch.

the way i'd like to have everything set and the way i'll be able to have everything set up may be two totally different senarios depending on this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Ableton 5.01
Laptop / Desktop
Pentium 4 2.5M / AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Win XP Pro SP2 / Win XP Pro SP2
Firewire 410 /Firewire 410

deepdirtydub

hmm

Post by deepdirtydub » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:51 am

im no guru but i know a bit about electronics ... and as far as i know the signal travelling down the usb cable will be a digital one .... so basically its all ones and zeros so unless you start dropping some of those along the way the overall audio quality shouldnt suffer at all. you should be able to run usb cable forever and not have any loss in audio quality... maybe signal strength but thats a new ball of wax.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:14 am

i have noticed that adding a 1.5m USB extension cable to my BCR2000 has had some side effects: Live started to loose the contact with the device. and this is a MIDI only device, no audio is involved, which means there's not a lot of information going through.
i had to remove the extension plug, and since then no problem (except that i have a cable floating in the middle of my setup...).

so i guess that changing the length of the USB cable does have some effect on the way devices work.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:21 am

i dont use usb audio for Live, only usb midi.

but i do use usb audio with Final Scratch, and i bought a 10 ft. gold plated shielded usb cable at Big Lots for $5.
never had an issue with it.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:07 pm

yeah I think it's more a cable quality issue - I have had a DEFINITE problem using a USB audio interface with a lead with no magnetic shield on it - I tried a longer USB lead with no shield and was getting interference to fuck and then stuck a different usb lead with one and it was fine - if you get a proper decent quality lead you should be fine