Session Drums with Roland V Drum TD8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andydixon

Session Drums with Roland V Drum TD8

Post by andydixon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi All,

I am trying to use Roland V Drums TD8 with Ableton Session Drums going through a Motu Ultralite MK3 interface.

The interface just sends the midi signal from the v drums straight to Ableton (there aren't midi controls on the interface) which eliminates the interface as a questionable problem for my query which is...

How do I get a better midi signal from the v drums?

I have set every pad to maximum sensitivity on the V Drums but even when they are hit very hard they still aren't reaching maximum input signal in Ableton (more like 2/3rds) Is this normal? When I click the play button on a drum within a drum rack I get a very good signal but when I hit a drum pad on the V Drums it isn't as strong, even with maximum sensitivity (where it actually says the V Drums are clipping on the V Drums' sound module screen).

If anyone could share their experience, knowledge or ideas I'd be very grateful?

Cheers
Andy

apyssjw

Re: Session Drums with Roland V Drum TD8

Post by apyssjw » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I have the TD12 but have not successfully set up the pads to trigger drum racks under the assumption that the latency is inherently too great. Is anyone out there successfully triggering using a V-Drum module and pads? (Sorry for not addressing your question).

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm

I have a TD10 with the upgrade. saffire Le and midisport 4x4. works great. everything seems to be mapped and ready to play even the hat and choke. Asio driver is at 3ms and firewire driver is at 1.5ms. no latency.

pale1

Post by pale1 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Try Velocity under midi effects, preset: fix 127
Macbook
Rme babyface pro
push 2
Genelec 1030A
Analogue gear
Stuff amassed through time

http://www.soundcloud.com/foss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEWQB ... smHhob59Xg

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:58 pm

or use velocity and apply drive and comp.

fix at 127 would not allow for "dynamics", which can be fine for a lot of styles.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Jekblad wrote:"dynamics", which can be fine for a lot of styles.
LMAO!

jerry123

Post by jerry123 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 pm

TD-10 here.
Connected MIDI through a digi002r. Works fine for me, regular plug and perform.
Not sure if the TD-8 has the same settings but I find that when I try different pad presets (as in, going into the Roland setup and telling the unit whether you are using a PD-8 or a PD-10 as your snare, etc.) I get very different triggering. If you're not using the internal TD-8 sounds so much, just try a factory initialization on the unit to see if it gives you better midi.
Also, are you having the same issue with different plug ins? try triggering a synth just to see what your levels are like.