Lightning: 60s oil lamp projectors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Lightning: 60s oil lamp projectors

Post by ze2be » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey.
I need some oil projectors for a low-budget festival we are doing.
We need a few of them.

I found these babies to have a decent price tag at £68 and 20w:
http://www.mathmos.com/mathmos-space-pr ... 516-0.html

However, im not shore if they are strong enough to light up a stage. The others ive found are 3x the price tag of these, at least..

Except this one at £78 and 75w:
http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=3772&cat=307

Mathmos: 20W 12V 35mm closed dichroic spot
Soundlab: Bulb Type 12V 75W

Picking up info from forums, reviews etc: apparently even 75w is not enough to cower a large era, like a concert stage. Some guy said 150 - 200w minimum.

Then theres the next step, JB Systems @ 250w, and about €159:
http://www.eurobaltronics.com/eng/produ ... 6&doc=4397

Does anyone have any experience with oil projectors and light strengths?

re.mark

Re: Lightning: 60s oil lamp projectors

Post by re.mark » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Where are you based? Have you tried phoning local AV/Production companies to see about dry hire as opposed to buying? Much better way to go imo, and they'll be able to advise you much more carefully based on stage sizes etc
How big is the stage? When you say 'large area...Concert stage' i doubt even one single 250w would cover it + with daylight to content with etc.

edit: Its Lighting. Lightning is a completely different, far less tame, kettle of fish.

Jimbabwae

Post by Jimbabwae » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi,

I have one of the Mathmos ones.. they're great for a bedroom or somthin but not really suitable for stage use.. unless it's a really small stage?

The best projection from one is around a 6 foot circle.

Hope this helps,

Jimmy

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:18 pm

re.mark wrote:Where are you based? Have you tried phoning local AV/Production companies to see about dry hire as opposed to buying? Much better way to go imo, and they'll be able to advise you much more carefully based on stage sizes etc
How big is the stage? When you say 'large area...Concert stage' i doubt even one single 250w would cover it + with daylight to content with etc.

edit: Its Lighting. Lightning is a completely different, far less tame, kettle of fish.
Thanks. i live in Oslo, Norway. But the place is about 2 hour drive from here. Its 2 outdoor stages, about 10 meters wide each. The places can take about 400 people each.

Yeah, I think it is better to rent it..
Still, a couple of those 75W Soundlabs could be cool to own, for various occasions..
We got this forest to light up. Entrance, farm house, two places with stages, and a third era with a nice bar, close to the camp. its not as large as it sounds though. Its about 150 meter walk through the forest between each spot. Some oil projectors could really set the mood right for this psychedelic mini festival.

Jimmy: thanks for the info! It sounds way to small for us, yeah.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Yea, get onto some production companies, either close to where the festival will be (save on delivery) or close to you if you dont mind taking them with you.
Even 250w will be lost on a 10m wide outdoor stage. Through the forest in bars etc would be good but onstage your gonna need multiple fixtures at 500w + (imo)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Heres a map I made of the place:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:31 pm

re.mark wrote:Yea, get onto some production companies, either close to where the festival will be (save on delivery) or close to you if you dont mind taking them with you.
Even 250w will be lost on a 10m wide outdoor stage. Through the forest in bars etc would be good but onstage your gonna need multiple fixtures at 500w + (imo)
Really... OK, thanks.. As long as it does not kill our very fragile budget. :D

Ill call a few lightning rental companies tomorrow.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 pm

I don't know all the capabilities of these lamps, but I've done shows with an overhead projector, candy dye, mineral oil and water and it's not hard to create similar effects to the pictures I'm seeing on their websites.

This page describes the basic idea:

http://people.virginia.edu/~rlk3p/class ... liquid.htm

Getting a good overhead projector is important, but I would think this would be easier and cheaper to rent than the oil lamp projector. I've moved on to using both the above techniques and also adding in pH indicators. Changing the acidity of the solution makes the pH indicators change color and is fun to manipulate.

One alternative if you've got someone interested in doing the mixing...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:52 am

these lamps are great.. bought one for a friend's birthday.. it makes any dull room psychadelic :mrgreen: