padKontrol vs. MPD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flippo

Re: padKontrol vs. MPD

Post by flippo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:36 am

Lamont wrote: APC-40 in combination with PadKontrol = Solid gold!

I run this, pretty comprehensive!

condra

Post by condra » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:34 am

I've owned both a Pad Kontrol (140 euro) and an MPD32 (275 euro)

I now own 2 AKAI LPD8s (49 euro each), which looks kinda like this:

Let me explain..

The PadKontrol is fun, and the feel/response of the pads is great, but the lack of knobs is annoying, especially if you're short on USB ports.

The pads on the MPD32 suck, and I don't like endless rotaries without visual feedback.

I find it strange that AKAI have given us superior features in the "budget" LPD8.
The pads on the LPD8 are highly responsive, extremely programmable, and backlit.

Not only do you get cool lights when you tap out beats, but you can set them to toggle on/off, for devices.
This toggle mode also allows you to recieve visual feedback from Lives scenes - a bit like having one row of Launchpad which you can move up and down.
While they are a bit fiddley, the knobs are not endless, which is fine by me.

In short, 1 LPD8 would stand up in many ways to a PadKontrol or an MPD32. 2 LPD8s is a powerhouse of MIDI control for the price of a pair of trainers.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 am

condra wrote:I've owned both a Pad Kontrol (140 euro) and an MPD32 (275 euro)

I now own 2 AKAI LPD8s (49 euro each), which looks kinda like this:

Let me explain..

The PadKontrol is fun, and the feel/response of the pads is great, but the lack of knobs is annoying, especially if you're short on USB ports.

The pads on the MPD32 suck, and I don't like endless rotaries without visual feedback.

I find it strange that AKAI have given us superior features in the "budget" LPD8.
The pads on the LPD8 are highly responsive, extremely programmable, and backlit.

Not only do you get cool lights when you tap out beats, but you can set them to toggle on/off, for devices.
This toggle mode also allows you to recieve visual feedback from Lives scenes - a bit like having one row of Launchpad which you can move up and down.
While they are a bit fiddley, the knobs are not endless, which is fine by me.

In short, 1 LPD8 would stand up in many ways to a PadKontrol or an MPD32. 2 LPD8s is a powerhouse of MIDI control for the price of a pair of trainers.
You have me thinking!
But two controllers, man. Two more USB ports.
Let's say someone wanted to use an encoder bank, a keyboard, a foot controller, a grid controller, etc.
At what point would it start getting clogged up?

condra

Post by condra » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 pm

If you have a decent laptop you'll be fine.