padKontrol vs. MPD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dead_money

padKontrol vs. MPD

Post by dead_money » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:39 am

Anyone have experience with using Korg's padKontrol drum pad midi controller and Akai's MPD series? I've been using the padKontrol for a while now but I sometimes find myself wanting more knobs and maybe a few sliders to work with, especially for live manipulation of sounds. The MPD26 looks alright in my opinion, and goes for about the same price as the PK. So, is the MPD easy to use within Live (and other software) -- as easy or easier than the PK? Does it really have an MPC feel to it? Are its features as good as they sound? Which model seems to be better than the rest? Has anyone switched from one controller to the other for any reason? Thanks

starving student

Re: padKontrol vs. MPD

Post by starving student » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:32 am

i'd grab a uc-33 or something, first gen remote zeros can be had for $150, the padkontrol is very versatile and has alot to offer under the hood

toph

Post by toph » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 am

Hi, I don't like the feel of the Akai pad-controllers personally. For me the pads feel hard and are not playable very sensitive. I think the PadKontrol will be better there as I read many statements and some reviews in the past, that all pointed out, that the feel of the Korgs is better.

So my choice would definitly be the PadKontrol. And for knobs and sliders I'd choose a second controller.

C.

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 am

I owned a PadKontrol and they are GREAT! The feel is amazing! It smoked my old MPC 2000XL and the Akai controller ones feel stinks. There is a fix for the feel by adding electrical tape under each pad, (I tried a friends akai that did the tape trick and it's still no where near as good as the PK). The one thing the PK is missing is faders/knobs but I purchased a NanoKontrol to take care of that problem. Two thumbs up for the PK, I only sold it because I bought Maschine.

T

toph

Post by toph » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:21 pm

ttaralli wrote:... I only sold it because I bought Maschine.
Don't want to turn that one into a Maschine-thread, but can you please tell me, how the Maschine-pads feel? - I'm thinking of buying something with better pads than the Akais myself for some time now, but I'm not sure what to go for:

One option would be PadKontrol, the second one Maschine and as a third one I'm thinking of a used Roland HPD 15.

I'm interested in Maschines software too, but the main aspect would be the controller and the feel of the pads.

C.

LightFireSound

Post by LightFireSound » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 pm

I recently bought a padKontrol and the pads are much better than the MPD's, although personally I think the MPD has better build quality. Also roll and flam options are useful and I've started using them more, If you have money get APC40.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:11 pm

In terms of responsiveness and sensitivity, it goes like this from my experience:
Maschine > padKONTROL > Triggerfinger > MPC/MPD

padKONTROL used to be the standard until Maschine came along. NI somehow managed to make Maschine's pads even more responsive than padKONTROL.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:01 pm

LightFireSound wrote:If you have money get APC40.

huh?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:39 pm

the X-Y pad on the padKONTROL is handy, i use it a lot when playing my MIDI keyboard too.

Pipotron4000

Post by Pipotron4000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 pm

I own a PK and it rules sensitivity speaking
There is not one sensor but FIVE sensors on each pad : 4 corners and 1 center

And you can change factory setting and make it less sensitive (a startup combination to do), if you want to get Akai feeling :wink:

I would advice you to buy a nanokontrol or nocturn (not the keyboard :wink: ) because there are free python scripts on this forum for them to control Ableton :wink:

You can do a lot more than sending CC or mixing with them using those scripts.
You can control Live.
This is not an APC or Launchpad but it can do the trick.

And they are cheap too :mrgreen:

LightFireSound

Post by LightFireSound » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:50 pm

starving student wrote:
LightFireSound wrote:If you have money get APC40.

huh?
He said he wanted more knobs and sliders.

Pipotron4000

Post by Pipotron4000 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Buy a second controller to complete your PK

Selling your PK for an MPD just for more sliders and faders, and you will regret it ;)

Speaking about APC is another thing : APC as nothing to do with more faders and sliders only

That's an integrated controller and it is a LOT more expansive...and you can do a lot more things too :D

A nanokontrol or a nocturn is around 50$ :wink:

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:49 pm

16 banks, 256 pads, ultra sensitive pads, X/Y controller, 2 assignable rotary knobs, easy intuitive librarian software.
Beats any MPD out there ... period.

Drawback
Not enough slide faders, cc switches, and rotaries.

Solution if there is extra cash
APC-20/40 in combination with PadKontrol = Solid gold!

phazed

Post by phazed » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm

I used an MPD24 as well as an MPD32 before, but their pad responsiveness is very bad compared to the padKontrol. I would never go back anymore. Use an additional controller with knobs and faders instead.

dead_money

Post by dead_money » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Yeah, I've already ordered the nanoKontrol. Thanks for all the great advice!