Best mode for overdubbing.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robyale

Best mode for overdubbing.

Post by robyale » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi,

So perhaps overdubbing is the wrong term, given that the Live paradigm is so radically different than other DAWs out there. In any case, what I have is an arrangement that I built by triggering scenes in record mode. Now, what I want to do is to add parts to the arrangement, but I don't want to perform the whole arrangement over again.

Here's what I've tried:

I've tried throwing live into record and triggering the new scene. The sound sources are on their own tracks, and only those tracks are armed for record. What happens is all tracks seem to go into record, and all parts other than the new ones get wiped from start of record until I punch out. I've tried this with OVR both on and off.

I've tried dragging the parts from the session page to the arrangement page, but the Simpler clip I drag loses all the parameters that I tweaked into it.

So, from a composition perspective, what's the best way to build up a piece in Live?

Thanks,

Rob
Windows 7 64 bit
Dual Quad-Core Xeon @ 2.13GHz
12GB RAM, 2 x .5TB hard drives
Quadro 3800 Video card
APC 40

http://soundcloud.com/yale-music

robyale

Re: Best mode for overdubbing.

Post by robyale » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm wondering why my question didn't get any replies. Maybe I rambled on too much and people thought TLDR. Here goes again:

When I record scenes triggered from the Session page into the Arrange page, can I overdub into the Arrange page by triggering additional scenes or clips? When I tried to do that, all tracks seemed to go into an overwrite/record mode, and previous things got wiped for the duration of the record in.

Any thoughts? Are my expectations out of whack?

Thanks,

Rob
Windows 7 64 bit
Quadro 3800 Video card
APC 40

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:27 pm

robyale wrote:I'm wondering why my question didn't get any replies. Maybe I rambled on too much and people thought TLDR. Here goes again:

When I record scenes triggered from the Session page into the Arrange page, can I overdub into the Arrange page by triggering additional scenes or clips? When I tried to do that, all tracks seemed to go into an overwrite/record mode, and previous things got wiped for the duration of the record in.

Any thoughts? Are my expectations out of whack?

Thanks,

Rob
Try copy/paste/edit in arrangement view on your recorded clips. If you need a new sound, record it into a new track.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

robyale

Post by robyale » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:34 pm

AceLuby wrote:
Try copy/paste/edit in arrangement view on your recorded clips. If you need a new sound, record it into a new track.
Thank you Ace.

So, according to what you say, since I have recordings sitting in the session page, dragging them or copy/pasting them into the Arrangement ought to work for me. I did try that but, although the midi info for the track came across fine, Simpler seemed to completely forget all the parameters I'd applied in the Session track. Just a glitch, or expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Rob
Windows 7 64 bit
Quadro 3800 Video card
APC 40

B-S

Post by B-S » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 am

you must select and copy automated lines manually. you can simply select automated parameter from the drop down in clip pane in session view,. highlight, then copy, then press Tab, and then paste it to the current chanel in arrangement view. not the smoothest workflow. hopefully this will be covered in next version of Live. fingers crossed ;-]

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

- make sure the back to arrangement button is not red
-go into global record mode
- now only trigger the simpler-clip, not the whole scene. The channel with simpler in it doesn't need to be armed.

This should work for only recording your simpler clip into the arrangement without wiping out the other clips on the other channels.