Is there a way to de-quantize?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cacti

Is there a way to de-quantize?

Post by cacti » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:04 pm

to get something a more natural rhythm as if it was played and no sequenced.

j.peeba

Re: Is there a way to de-quantize?

Post by j.peeba » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Yup. Read up on grooves from the manual.

djwack

Post by djwack » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 am

I'd recommend recording without quantization. You'll get better results that way. If your skills are lacking try recording at lower BPM than what you'll eventually be using and speed it up after recording.

And if you really want to be hardcore about it, disable quantization and drag each individual hit inside the clip into whereever the hit sounds best and gives the groove you're after (you will usually want to zoom in quite a lot for most accuracy). This is my preferred method..

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 pm

yea, use grooves OR just drop your quantization to a lower %

multivoxmuse

Post by multivoxmuse » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:27 pm

I found this while searching for the same thing.

Everyone answering seems to fail to understand your question. Once you quantize, you can't get the toothpaste back in the bottle.

So what's to be done if you want to get a but more humanization back into your hi-hats?

Well, what I did is create a few things.

Added a 52% swing groove
Upped the randomization on the groove as well
and then added an LFO to time and velocity in Operator (it was a hi-hat in operator)

I kind wish there was just a right click > humanize feature like logic. Anyone know of one?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:45 am

djwack wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 am
I'd recommend recording without quantization. You'll get better results that way. If your skills are lacking try recording at lower BPM than what you'll eventually be using and speed it up after recording.

And if you really want to be hardcore about it, disable quantization and drag each individual hit inside the clip into whereever the hit sounds best and gives the groove you're after (you will usually want to zoom in quite a lot for most accuracy). This is my preferred method..
This.

Even if you have bad timing, you can always quantize with a percentage to get a tighter yet groovier feel than just straight quantize.