Is it proved that Live runs faster on Windows 7 than OS X

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flowdesigner

Re: Is it proved that Live runs faster on Windows 7 than OS X

Post by flowdesigner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:I think its been proved that people are morons

I did not see the hack mac thing, neither did the poster I copied it from at gearslutz.
I was about to burn serious cash on a mac, and wanted to double check everything.
Cubase runs better on a custom music PC than a Mac, does it not?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:45 pm

4.33 wrote:it sounds better on Windows too. dont buy into all this corporate marketing apple bullshit :wink:

is that a joke or your real opinion? i allways wondred wether lives soundquakity problems might be platform related bugs...

however.. midi performance under os x is defently better than any i came along in the pc wold sofar...

but i ve no idea wether w7 has improoved there... has it?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:55 pm

H20nly wrote:
Piplodocus wrote:Maybe a bit more even to use a real mac, and compare it to win7 with bootcamp
yeah, it would probably be more even to run both Operating Systems on Apple's hardware and see which is faster.

and a blind taste test is easier if you keep one eye open.
A producer friend of me is a total mac enemy... he uses 5 pc´s in his studio in sound prooved racks with central server ..

ok..thats a professional attitude.

However.. he changed all his hardware to mac because they run in bootcamp as 100% windows pc´s with apples hardware philosophy... not the fastes what the market can bring.. but decend state of the art in an tested and optimized config..

he says that windows pc´s with this specs are either similar priced or even more expensiv... or would need him to do everything by hand ..what he has just not the time anymore..

so this total mac hater has now 6 macs in the studio...
He wouldnt have done that if there would have been any performance problems at all..

So bootcamp got thru the mac hater test...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 pm

^ its amazing what fat pocket books can do for you :wink:

BTW, I think Live sounds more analogue on Windows 95
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 pm

flowdesigner wrote:
4.33 wrote:it sounds better on Windows too. dont buy into all this corporate marketing apple bullshit :wink:

from the Ableton Live forum Benchmark thread this is what got me thinking:

1. Ableton Live CPU Meter: 8% with Windows 7 (same 1 computer)
1. Ableton Live CPU Meter: 17% with OSX 10.6 (same 1 computer)
1. Ableton Live CPU Meter: 23% with OSX 10.6.3 (same 1 computer)
2. Desktop: Custom HackMac
3. OS: I settled on OSX 10.6, as I'm a Mac guy
4. Ableton Live version: 8.1.3
5. CPU Make, model and speed: i7 920 @3.32GHz
6. Amount of RAM: 6GB
7. Soundcard : onboard
8. Hard disk drive speed: 7200RPM
9. Number of playback tracks: 8

Double the Performance on Windows 7....
I doubt the Window 7 result given here - I have an i930 clocked at 4Ghz with 6GB 1600Mhz memory and with faster hard drives too - I think my result was 11% on XP 32 bit, Win 7/64 bit and with various audio interfaces with one of the combinations yielding 12%.

As for the hackintosh results - I would guess it depends alot on the kernel extensions that got added - that seems a rather unbeleivable difference to me - suggest something in those result is flawed.

Assuming that the machien was at best 1600Mhz memory and runnignthe overclocked 920, then I would have expected all OSs to yield around 12-15% unless something else is going on here - add additional extreme overclock on windows that isnt happening for some reason on the mac os's couple with a poor driver/kext somewhere in the two mac os flavours.

Quite simply - 8% at 3.3Ghz doesnt add up unless memory is running at some ridiculous speed like 2Ghz, or the result got read when the test drops to 4 tracks (wichh on my machien is around 6-7% I think, so 8% would make sense).
Nothing to see here - move along!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:12 pm

but can be... when a mac under bootcamp is a 100% windows pc with only having bootcamp as driver for the ports... it should have an almost 100% performance.. in the past live was clearly running mor efficiant on windows computers..

in case this is still true the result is not too unlikely...