Live Instruments are out of tune ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solitarypartygroover

Live Instruments are out of tune ??

Post by solitarypartygroover » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:31 am

Is it just me, or do quite a few of the instruments in Live have out of tune notes ? I seem to have noticed it most with the bass instruments, e.g Tension's Double Bass , though that might just be because I've been using them more often. I know you can change things like "string inharmonicity", but that just seems to affect which notes are most out of tune.

Are some of the instruments supposed to be set up for use in particular keys, or for some strange reason not set as equal temperament tuning ? If the whole instrument was consistently out, I could use fine-tuning (though why would any instruments not be set to A=440 as default?), but when the tuning is inconsistent this is not possible.

solitarypartygroover

Re: Live Instruments are out of tune ??

Post by solitarypartygroover » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:38 pm

No one else has noticed this then...?

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 pm

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143736

Not with Tension (but I dont have any of the Suite Instruments, just EIC II)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:53 pm

out of tune towards what? there is no global tune parameter in ableton live... so where is the refference pitch?

440 hz? or 441? or 438? or eve 392?

beside that.. usually bass notes have to be tuned lower to sound in harmony with theire equaly tempered brothers some octaves above... so the tuning is probably wright but that is wrong :-))
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 am

you could argue that since the advent of the tempered octave (thanks j.s.bach), the entire output of music using this system is out of tune.

G-Drums

Post by G-Drums » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 am

Oh yes... I'm having this issue. Had it with one of the bass sounds, so frustrating. And now just with Grand Piano... sounding off unless I pitch my bass sound +6 cents.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 am

G-Drums wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 am
Oh yes... I'm having this issue. Had it with one of the bass sounds, so frustrating. And now just with Grand Piano... sounding off unless I pitch my bass sound +6 cents.
3phase mentioned that the bassier range as to be tuned a bit differently to sound "correct". I have no idea if this is true and/or documented psycho-acoustics but will certainly do some research about it, but what is sure is that that's what my experience is telling me...
Before reading this 3phase comment I thought that maybe my pitch interpretation wasn't very good with very low notes (mostly sub, or at least low timbres with very little harmonic content), but maybe everything's fine with my hearing!

The piano's low notes have loads of harmonics so this wouldn't be a usual candidate, at least in my experience, did you check it with Tuner?
6 cents is a lot with low notes....
Ableton Forum Moderator

velaramon

Re: Live Instruments are out of tune

Post by velaramon » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:55 pm

I noticed this too.

It’s one of the things making me think twice about Ableton. Standard tuning should be the default, no?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:18 pm

velaramon wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:55 pm
I noticed this too.

It’s one of the things making me think twice about Ableton. Standard tuning should be the default, no?
This has nothing to do with Live!
Ableton Forum Moderator

velaramon

Post by velaramon » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:04 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:18 pm
velaramon wrote:
I noticed this too.

Yes, I know. It was explained above. It’s J.S. Bach’s fault.

Seriously, stating that Live isn’t the issue isn’t helpful. I heard what I heard. And no one is doubting that live can play in tune. The question is why some of us hear something odd that we have not heard when playing live with a bassist who tunes their bass properly.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:38 pm

velaramon wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:04 pm
[jur] wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:18 pm
velaramon wrote:
I noticed this too.

Yes, I know. It was explained above. It’s J.S. Bach’s fault.

Seriously, stating that Live isn’t the issue isn’t helpful. I heard what I heard. And no one is doubting that live can play in tune. The question is why some of us hear something odd that we have not heard when playing live with a bassist who tunes their bass properly.
Hey, mate - been using Live for 10+ years and I’ve never ever had a problem with instruments sounding out of tune (unless I’ve sampled something, but that’s on me).

What might be helpful is if you explained what is out of tune with what. Like, is it a certain Live instrument that’s out of tune?

G-Drums

Post by G-Drums » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:16 am

Will check my session a bit later on. Never had tuning issues with Logic which was my default for many years.

In terms of reference... well I use my ears. It sticks out like ****. Perhaps will post sample if it is possible. I'm also a trained musician of 30+ years, and I know if the bass ain't right (as fundamental) your session (or ensemble) is going to suffer. Tuning needs to be 100% right from the bottom up for a good session.

G-Drums

Post by G-Drums » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:23 am

Wow... just added the tuner plug-in to a sound I'm using (Guitar Palm Legacy) and it's seriously sharp with reference to A440. In one particular octave the tuner even mistakes an A for a Bb momentarily. Now I would have to look into how this sound has been created, but that's extremely nasty in my opinion.

arasharash

Post by arasharash » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:49 pm

i have this problem too. not only with bass but other defualt plugins, i dont get it, am i have to manually tune it which is hard sometimes for me, im confused, (2 years experience)

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:39 am

If the instruments use physical modeling, it’s absolutely common that they get out of tune, especially in the higher range.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1