Rewire and odd meters?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delfs

Rewire and odd meters?

Post by delfs » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi-

I often rewire Live's session view into Logic in the process of beat making. It works perfectly fine when only in 4/4 but whenever something is in odd meters, Live behaves really weird: loops are not played from the beginning depending on where in the arrangement Logic is started.

I noticed how Live's time signature doesn't sync itself to Logic but as it's greyed out I can't change it manually either.

What am I doing wrong?

Best, Jonas

Dennis DeSantis

Re: Rewire and odd meters?

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 am

delfs wrote:Hi-

I often rewire Live's session view into Logic in the process of beat making. It works perfectly fine when only in 4/4 but whenever something is in odd meters, Live behaves really weird: loops are not played from the beginning depending on where in the arrangement Logic is started.

I noticed how Live's time signature doesn't sync itself to Logic but as it's greyed out I can't change it manually either.

What am I doing wrong?

Best, Jonas

I believe that The ReWire specification has no support for meter change information.

A possible workaround could be to work in Live's Arrangement view, and duplicate the meter changes in the two applications.

Best,

delfs

Post by delfs » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your answer! I'm glad to find there's an explanation to this, I thought it looked kinda buggy.

Though it sounds as if Rewire could use an update- it would be a simple but very valuable addition imo.

Best, Jonas

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
delfs wrote:Hi-

What am I doing wrong?

Best, Jonas

I believe that The ReWire specification has no support for meter change information.

A possible workaround could be to work in Live's Arrangement view, and duplicate the meter changes in the two applications.

Best,
Are you sure of this? I have a song that goes from 5/4 into 4/4 into 3/4 etc. rewired into Digital Performer, and Live's Arrangement seems to adjust itself
with every meter change? The meter info at the top of Live changes to whatever meter DP sends it. Haven't tried it using only Session View though.