Figured out the situation: Learn what you have!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Taylor Barclay

Re: Selling some software, looking for opinions.

Post by Taylor Barclay » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 am

After watching quite a few tutorials on both Suite's instruments and Komplete, the choice is obviously very clear now.

After being stubborn and hard headed about it I'll be keeping Komplete 6 to learn it. Everyone in this thread is definitely right; I would end up hitting walls with Suite. Of course, I wouldn't hit any walls that my hard head couldn't at least dent :)

Thanks for everyone's input on the topic. I was definitely in a point of confusion. After reviewing the point blank facts, I know I've made the right decision. I think I'll try to hang around here a little bit.

Thanks again Abes!

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:47 am

My vote is get Absynth. With that and LIve Suite you are well covered. Sampler is a wicked sampler, Analog and Operator are perfectly capable, highly programmable softsynths, lots of fun to use. Absynth is wicked -- but there is a learning curve for sure, be prepared for that; but it sure beats the learning curve of trying to get a handle on Reaktor, Kontakt, Absynth, FM8 and Massive all at the same time. Especially if you aren't into presets, which you say you aren't.

Do whatever fits you getting the work done. Songwriting first, gear collecting second. hard to live by sometimes, but good advice imo.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:37 am

You can demo the Suite instruments. Why not do that before making any snap decisions either way.

Komplete is an amazing set of tools which basically covers you for pretty much any kind of sound.

Suite covers a lot of areas (not as much as Komplete either in terms of TYPES of synthesizer, or sample content for anything from bread an butter orchestral sounds to avant garde weirdness) but it integrates well and (unless you rack them) is typically lower on CPU overhead than SOME of the Komplete sounds, certain patches in Absynth, Reaktor and Massive can be load heavy (Massive has an 'eco' mode which helps a bit).

Don't be in too much hurry to rush on. Learn all the tools you have inside out and THEN expand upon it, instead of buying hundreds of tools and then not knowing where to start and leaving some plugins barely used.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:53 am

leedsquietman wrote:You can demo the Suite instruments. Why not do that before making any snap decisions either way.

Komplete is an amazing set of tools which basically covers you for pretty much any kind of sound.

Suite covers a lot of areas (not as much as Komplete either in terms of TYPES of synthesizer, or sample content for anything from bread an butter orchestral sounds to avant garde weirdness) but it integrates well and (unless you rack them) is typically lower on CPU overhead than SOME of the Komplete sounds, certain patches in Absynth, Reaktor and Massive can be load heavy (Massive has an 'eco' mode which helps a bit).

Don't be in too much hurry to rush on. Learn all the tools you have inside out and THEN expand upon it, instead of buying hundreds of tools and then not knowing where to start and leaving some plugins barely used.
I'll be doing just that, settling down and learning Komplete.

After a huge change in studio setup it can be frightening when you feel like you are in over your head. I've got it all settled down now though and will be sticking with Live 8 and Komplete 6 and learning them from the inside out. Resources like MusicTech Focus mag are perfect, I'm working my way through their Synthesis issue atm. It's very informative and they make it not seem so daunting to get under the hood of your plugins.

UnCL0NED

Re: Figured out the situation: Learn what you have!

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:55 am

The title of your thread is so true. I discovered this also a few months ago. The nice thing is: once you really know what you have, you won't be buying stuff just because of the pretty lights...
If I could do it all over again with the knowledge I have now, I'd buy some different stuff probably, but I'm very happy with what Ableton Live Suite offers (which I'm using now).
The Komplete 7 looks very "complete", but I really think that together with Suite it's an overkill. The only thing I'm really missing and looks promising is Reflektor.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

dum

Post by dum » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 am

people seem to be missing the point of the question ?

He already owns Komplete 6 - and he's wondering if he shouldn't just sell it.

You guys realise that he's likely to lose at least 250 on that sale - right ?

ffs.

Taylor, you gotta be careful the kind of questions you ask here. There will always be bias towards ableton.
Lately a guy asked for 3rd party alternatives to Ableton's ''analog'' synth and folks spent 6 pages or so telling him to stick with analog. Food for thought.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:30 am

dum: Believe me I hear you. I am not selling, I shouldn't have considered it in the first place.

I didn't really believe that Suite would provide better sounds, I felt like it would be easier to handle as a whole.

So all in all; don't be a pussy and tackle the big plugins. And watch for bias? :)

dum

Post by dum » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 am

Taylor Barclay wrote:So all in all; don't be a pussy and tackle the big plugins. And watch for bias? :)
eggzaktly :wink:
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

mihai

Post by mihai » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 pm

sell live, komplete, and any other software you have then buy an operator license. you'll be good to go. *sticks tongue out*

i agree, learn what you have on hand and worry about stuff later. i don't think you'd be making a bad choice either way you go but you already have komplete. one synth at a time...