The truth about abletons audio engine part II

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luddy

Re: The truth about abletons audio engine part II

Post by luddy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:32 pm

macmurphy wrote:oh for fucks sake :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:
:lol:

3phase has decided to harass himself in public, for deciding to use Live. The good news is that we all get to watch.

-Luddy

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:30 pm

luddy wrote:
macmurphy wrote:oh for fucks sake :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:
:lol:

3phase has decided to harass himself in public, for deciding to use Live. The good news is that we all get to watch.

-Luddy
"harass" seems to be a polite euphemism for "pleasure" in this case.

Some of the best pop music ever recorded is no more high fidelity than a microcassette recorder. I personally have used Live since version 1.5 and I can guarantee that the poor quality of anything I've produced cannot be blamed on Live in the slightest.

With all its limitations, and the features I wish it had (or didn't have) it still happends to be the best tool for my workflow.

"YMMV."

But the 3phase posts remind me nothing more than people I knew in the 70s who would spend hundreds of hours auditioning speaker cables in their elaborate hi fi systems. I can't tell you how many times I had to listen to the Mobile Fidelity pressing of DSotM. (Sort of an inside joke there, but that is actually a fantastic sounding piece of vinyl.)
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

yearlongyeti

Post by yearlongyeti » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Whats with the agro? I think its a valid point. At least they noticed the change. Do I think ableton sounds diferent yes don't they all? Do i want ableton to keep improving their product? yes. I thought the forum was for discussing music and audio production not how much we love ableton. I say rave on mate, you've got me interested.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 pm

Dude, 3whine, fuck off already. We know you hate the software, your points mean nothing anymore, sorta like saying the word "sandwich" 500 times, it's just meaningless anymore. It's obvious you just want to come here and be a dick, but up your fucking game already and try sounding like a smart dick instead of a stupid whiny dick.

Seriously, at this point, this is what your argument boils down to:

3phase - "I've spent money with you guys, it's long overdue that we have a perfect product produced and used by imperfect creatures!"

Ableton - "We're sorry, but that's impossible, and will never be possible."

3phase - "WHAT? Well, I'm just going to bitch until it's perfect! Fuck you!"

Ableton - "You'll be bitching forever, then, and it will never get you anywhere."

3phase - "Fuck you!"

Only to be repeated again next week, with practically the exact same script.

All the time you've wasted bitching here could have been used writing a decent album to add to your discogs page, for fucks sake.

EDIT: I also want to say that the only "truth" in your first post is the part where you quote the bugfix list. I like how you call speculation the truth, tho. Makes for great comedy.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:18 am

Another great artist using the inferior engine.

http://vimeo.com/10737501
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

condra

Post by condra » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:32 am

Live sounds great to me.

And even if it didn't, sound quality is overrated anyway.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:23 am

LIVES SOUND ENGINE CONTAINS:

luddy

Post by luddy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:50 am

I've written a lot of posts in response to his questions, thinking that he was posing serious questions and really looking for answers. (I know: that was dumb.) Now I think that he's more interested in making vague complaints that don't have a real solution because there is no real problem other than the problem of finding things to make noise about.

I can certainly understand someone not liking Live, but it's really hard for me to sympathize with someone who comes on a public forum and poses all kinds of questions / complaints, eliciting all kinds of detailed responses from people who take the questions seriously, then shifts ground and moves on to topic after topic repeating the whining and vague complaining without bothering to come to grips with the answers that have already been given. I don't much appreciate having someone intentionally waste my time and take advantage of my willingness to offer some help.

-Luddy

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:57 am

oh its just fun to see how step by step the sound quality clears up while the fanboys allways calim there are no disadvatages from the first days of the forum...and give sound like dogs you try to steal the bone from them when you question the audio quality of live 8)

And in case of the transparency bug its defently amusing me even more.. after all the lately bashing that i just might be to stupid to use the program correctly...

just hope that my comparison result with logic where the same recodings from the same interfaces sounded so much more open in logic just dont says that the brown henke dither on records done in timecode sync apperas aswell.
of cause ther cant be brown henke dither on recordings in timecode sync because the internal tempo is takin from teh slave daw and not realigned in the 0.0001 bpm regions... Or?

... so again..either live dont sounds as good as logic.. i am haluzinating.. or the phantom striked again?

its really not that i allwas think the soundquality of live is different to other daw´s its just that i run since years in situations where i think its to muffled.. bt on other sessions the recordings jsut sound beatifull and i work for many days without ever spending one second thinking about a sound problems...

I realized that it mainly got this way when importaed session tapes was involved.. and than realized in lately here live on the forum the coming and going .. usually when it apperas i just change the daw.. this time the protest of some fanboys forced me to try it again..and experianced the brown henke dither disaperag after readjusing the tempo in arrange..

of again.. i saw the option of a haluzination.. you never know what youtube does to your brain on long term use...

but..thanks god... i am allwright :)

thanks for the change log mentioning the bug... i think this is the first audio engine bug ever mentioned..or?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dum

Post by dum » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:02 am

interesting,
AND TO THINK.... they wanted to stop publishing the changelog.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:06 am

I'm more than happy to eat crow and believe you... if you were able to come up with a concrete example that someone other than yourself could replicate.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 am

it would be enough if the professional betatesters of ableton would investigate the issue..

is ableton live sounding inferior?
or is the occasional occurance of brown henke dither responsible for the inferior sound myth?

if the second is the case any appearance of brown henke dither should be investigated..

only ableton people can know if there internal software mechanics could cause internal tempo missmatches in the file headers... probably not...

In the moment I have the clear impression that live dont sounds as good as logic because i just had the 1:1 experiance...

but i dont like to do it again now.. especially because brown henke dither has shown in the past the tendency to happens when it wants..not when you like to force it.... no time for that.. you just start questioning your sanity when such things happen one day and the other its clear...

I just name the setup here...

2 laptops..one logic one live... each with a hammerfall interface..logic on multiface 2.. live on fireface 400
booth interfaces wordclock synced... and bridged via the adat light pipes.. so each laptop access all 16 record channels and playback ports

logic is timecode master of live... the fireface 400 on the live computer is the wordclockmaster of the system..

ok.. i see here that usually timecode and wordclock come from the master synchronizer..but we dont have such a thing here and it shouldnt matter which interface is the clockmaster here ..

Or?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:28 am

... if you were able to come up with a concrete example that someone other than yourself could replicate.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:06 am

This topic is like a looper...
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Usedtobe

Post by Usedtobe » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:01 am

looper doesn't work very well for me

but really. live sounds so dope, and if you got probs make it in abes, make buddies with a guy with tubes, then track them to someone else's protools. gosh I did it, blasphemy.

urban studio legend tells of rad professionals spending 30 minutes tweaking an eq just to find it was bypassed, your brain is nuts!

if ableton sounds bad, play it out of a bass amp and blame it on that. at least it will be loud and booties can shake