The truth about abletons audio engine part II

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

The truth about abletons audio engine part II

Post by 3phase » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 pm

in the latest beta ther is this intersting fix:

Bugfixes

- Fixed a bug where typing a tempo in the BPM field of a warped clip would give a slightly wrong number (i.e. you type "100" and "100.0001" gets entered", which led to some neutrality problems.

isn´s that interesting?

so when applying the original song tempo on an allready warped track hasent caused it to switch the samplerate conversion off and it was allways on? so the brown henke dither myth is a reality than?

and now it is fixed and one can be sure that neutral in live is not neutral + 1 samplerate conversion?

or is it possible that other bugs like this might cloud, our have clouded, our judgement about the soundquality of ableton live?

is it possible that the bug occurs also on recordings made in ableton live under certain conditions? maybe a fluctualting in the internal processtiming leeads to tempo missinterpretations and the clip thinks its recorded on 100.0001 bpm instead getting that ther is no such resolution?

and why is the tempo info so important.. isnt a sample byte a sample byte and one read out after the other ensures no SR?

The world of elastic audio is a strange one...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

timothyallan

Re: The truth about abletons audio engine part II

Post by timothyallan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 am

It would probably be a lot less stressful for you to go buy Logic at this point, no?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 am

i own logic since 1994...

and i guess that this long lasting bug is finally adressed dont comes from your everything is perfect policy...

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:51 am

Indeed you are right, the policy of our elders speaks many words about the decent of the youth in tomorrows climate of change even using todays advancements as tomorrows leaders.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:01 am

3phase wrote: Bugfixes

- Fixed a bug where typing a tempo in the BPM field of a warped clip would give a slightly wrong number (i.e. you type "100" and "100.0001" gets entered", which led to some neutrality problems.
I work solely in arrangement mode and never define tempo in a clip. My guess is that the above issue never influenced the quality of my mixes/renders in Live 8.

3phase wrote:..so the brown henke dither myth is a reality then?..
What is this about?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 am

peez wrote:
3phase wrote: Bugfixes

I work solely in arrangement mode and never define tempo in a clip. My guess is that the above issue never influenced the quality of my mixes/renders in Live 8.

3phase wrote:..so the brown henke dither myth is a reality than?..
What is this about?

that was a joke about mysterious audio degenerations/alterations that are supposed to be not there ..

In arrange it actually tells you when there is a missmatch between a new tempo setting and the song tempo..

sometimes it told me that even when i typed in the original songtempo again.. what at least had shown to me that somethng is not working correctly there... beside of the problem that i heard the samplerate conversion acting.. your transparent daw shouldnt sound clearly worse than the quicktime player.. if that happens something goes wrong..

changing the clip tempo in arrange was the only cure from brown henke dither i came along sofar.. so i guess your tracks should be allwright...

i mainly had the problem when importing files recorded in other daw´s... while having autowarping on..

so removing the warp markers and set to original songtempo caused the apperance of brown henke dither for me...

only problem i ve with that good news is that the BHD occured in other situations aswell...

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:43 pm

3phase I get your point and I do agree to a certain degree, but don't make it to a self-fulfilling prophecy. I've found equal bugs in other daws too. And I've tested repitch and beat mode so damn ofen. They did null everytime when the clip tempo was the same as the master tempo so this bug NEVER happened in one of my projects. I guess this only occurs in some special situations and that can't be the reason for a bad overall sound quality.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:22 pm

People seem to be making great records despite the hopelessly crippled audio engine.

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/alb ... ibou-swim/
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:17 am

nylarch wrote:People seem to be making great records despite the hopelessly crippled audio engine.

good example, excellent read, thanks.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:49 am

I record vocals, bass, and acoustic guitar straight in to Arrange view. I create drum patterns there as well. How does 1 ten thousandth of a beat per minute change the sound of my recordings?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:44 pm

nylarch wrote:People seem to be making great records despite the hopelessly crippled audio engine.

you can make great sounding records with everything.. thats not the point.. but what happens when you import a great sounding recording and replay it with live?

that was problematic for me.. not any time..but of cause the brown henke dither appeard only when it was hurting...

a main daw have to be stable in regards of transparency .. editing is part of production work and a daw that fucks up your mixes on a simple edit is defently sounding inferior... at least for people that do edits of ready mixed runoffs..
That a guy like mr villalobos dont likes the ableton sound might well be related to just that..

and beside that.. the samplerate algorythm of Live could need some more options aswell, its pretty good now.. but an extremy high quality setting or an offline render option while consolidating would be nice..

live is a program where you actually use SR all the time.. and the sonic character adds up as more tracks use this..

Besides.. just started working with logic again.. and just settings levels with 16 tracks does sound better than setting levels on 16 tracks with ableton live.. more open and transparent .. with live it gets a little more grain..
I am biased? sure.. but i dont consider the ableton sound myth busted aslong i get theese experiances...

However..you surly can achive a good mix with a littlemore grain .. with the wright plugins digital production can sound ok...

In the analog domain there are similar things..where the question can pop up what sounds better or inferior..and there can be similar phenomens with similar little differences... between consoles for example

TL071 based designs like amek desks sound a little grainier than class a neves or api´s..

that hasnt stopped people to produce great sounding records on amek desks..

but you see with the second hand prices which sound is the one people have considred better by the proove of time..

I would say one cant produce with live... i have some great sounding mixes made on live 2 that features the extra grainy lofi SR...which was sounding nice as an fx in itslf..miss it somehow...

but at this time live was a toy tool and not a full featured daw... i like lofi and hig end..the inbetweens is what eats my ears over time...

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:45 pm

oh for fucks sake :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 pm

:lol: :lol: .. you dont like to hear that that your beloved daw isnt the bst sounding out there...however.. when it dont crashes all over it has many other nice advantages... otherwise i wouldnt touch the piece of @ª©?ç ~?øª ?

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:57 pm

3phase wrote::lol: :lol: .. you dont like to hear that that your beloved daw isnt the bst sounding out there...however.. when it dont crashes all over it has many other nice advantages... otherwise i wouldnt touch the piece of @ª©?ç ~?øª ?
i couldn't give a fuck if it is or isn't the best sounding daw. it works for me. it's not my 'beloved' daw either. it's a tool that enables me to produce music.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 pm

This just in, Apple fan boy thinks an apple products sound better! :roll:

and PS
Logic is a fucking joke...

If you want to add some credibility to your claims ref a professional DAW not one that feels and acts like the deveoplers took specifications from a two year old.